Kansans to vote on right to own guns

Started by frawin, March 26, 2009, 04:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Another encouraging move, I think this will pass in Kansas.

Kansans to vote on right to own guns

Kansans will have the chance to vote next year on a constitutional amendment guaranteeing individuals the right to own firearms.

The House passed a resolution Wednesday to place the issue on the 2010 general election ballot. The vote was 116-9, far more than the two-thirds majority needed.

The Senate adopted the resolution Tuesday, 39-1.

Senate Concurrent Resolution 1611 would change the state Constitution to read: "a person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, for lawful hunting and recreational use, and for any other lawful purpose."

Currently, the state guarantees those rights for "the people."

A 1905 Kansas Supreme Court decision said it's a collective, not an individual, right. The proposed amendment would give the right to each person.

Supporters researched the issue after last year's U.S. Supreme Court ruling that the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment grants individuals the right to bear arms.

The Michigan Legislature is considering a similar resolution, which would reaffirms residents' right to bear arms. That resolution also states that it is the intent of the Michigan Legislature not to recognize or enforce unconstitutional firearm restrictions placed upon its citizens.

Catwoman

Thank God someone up on the Hill is using their head. 

Teresa

So sad that you have to "vote" on something that is already our God given right!  >:(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Varmit

Tersa, you are so right about that.  I wonder what would happen if we kansas residents got together and told those in office that they are not going to vote on this issue because it has already been established?  We are not going to allow them, in fact forbid them to take away our rights.  If they continue to defy OUR policies they will be removed from office, they will be fired.  After all they work for us, we are the boss.

I think that most of them, if not all, forgot that little detail. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

frawin

Varmit, I really like your style and Philosophy, we need more people like you, Warph, Teresa, srkruzich, Jo, Catwoman on the forum, oh and I can't forget kshillbilly.

srkruzich

Quote from: Varmit on April 02, 2009, 06:56:06 PM
Tersa, you are so right about that.  I wonder what would happen if we kansas residents got together and told those in office that they are not going to vote on this issue because it has already been established?  We are not going to allow them, in fact forbid them to take away our rights.  If they continue to defy OUR policies they will be removed from office, they will be fired.  After all they work for us, we are the boss.

I think that most of them, if not all, forgot that little detail. 
I think that this bill is a measure to stop Herr fuhers Generalstaatsanwalt  from banning firearms.  20+ states have sent the administration a notice that they will not allow the govt to usurp their sovereignty.

Montana issued a similar notice to obama stating they will not recognize any regulation of firearms in montana.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Teresa

Quote from: frawin on April 02, 2009, 07:03:33 PM
Varmit, I really like your style and Philosophy, we need more people like you, Warph, Teresa, srkruzich, Jo, Catwoman on the forum, oh and I can't forget kshillbilly.

Frank.. Although naturally birds of a feather stick together, that is why we tend to enjoy posts that roll with our own way of thinking.... But EVERYONE"S posts and opinions are valuable on here in this section. We are all Americans.. even though we don't see eye to eye, I think if and when push comes to shove we will all band together as 'one"..  :) Helping each other and our neighbors as much as we can ..
Even though I have been rather silent on the forum.. I am still working diligently hard on the front lines.
We are going to be active on location at the Second Amendment march in Washington.. plus NRA Convention is coming up in a few weeks and I will have my feet right in the middle of that.. so I may be silent here.. but I'm being heard loud and clear on the Hill...  ;D

I am pleased to see more people getting actively involved in speaking out in this forum. We should all keep our eyes and ears totally open to all that is going on and never close your mind to anything..

Be safe...and Stay aware.............. :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Varmit

From what I have seen Tersa being safe and staying aware is the problem.  By that, I mean outside of this forum I haven't seen that much, locally, that would suggest folks around here are becoming aware, or even care about what is going on.  I don't mean for that to come across as a slight against them but it just seems like they are content to keep their eyes closed.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

pam

Maybe they have their wide open they just don't talk about it and prefer to wait and watch. They may be more ready than anybody else when push comes to shove.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Wilma

You may be right, Pam.  I'll be there when there is something constructive that I can do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk