Wind, Red Flag, AND Tornado!

Started by Tobina+1, March 23, 2009, 12:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Gotta love spring in Southeast Kansas!  Wind advisory across the entire state, along with a Red Flag advisory (extreme fire danger), and now tornado warning, too.  Although I'm not sure why the Red Flag advisory... I can't imagine even trying to light a match in this wind!  Ha!

Batten down the hatches; could be a rough afternoon and night!

wasadeay

I understand there was a pretty severe fire at the Dale chamberlain residence on Cresco road today..... ? Anyone know what happened there.   It was said that it would be total loss??? ..... Never know what to believe.   Hope they didn't loose everything.... I just couldn't imagine loosing all your photos, keepsakes, etc.... all that NON replacable stuff you've collected your entire life....that no amount of money can ever replace.. Hope they were able to get some things out!  :-\ was glad to hear that neither of them were injured in the fire. :)

Tobina+1

Well, not sure about the East and Southeast part of the county, but the Western half survived the weather last night.  We got wave after wave of storms throughout the evening, but nothing severe.  There was one storm early in the evening (around 6 pm) that had come from Cowley County and had a tornado spotted in it, but it had calmed down and just high winds and rain when it got to us.  I think we had another storm into maybe the 2-3 am hours?  Most of the rest of them went either more north or more south and we just got light showers and wind.  With the high winds yesterday, I can imagine that anyone who had dying/dead trees may have LOTS of limbs to deal with today.  Rain gauge shows 1/2 inch rain, but not sure it could catch all the sideways rain!

Diane Amberg

Wilma

It would be if we could get more than a half inch of rain every other week.

Diane Amberg

Tobina+1

Chuck says he thinks the ground moisture is OK right now.  But in this area, Wilma's right, we need to have rain more often, as it just runs off and down the rivers.  Chuck says the pastures are kind of squishy, but roads are dry.  Especially when we continue to get wind; things dry out in a hurry!  Right now, moisture is good, but plants really aren't using it until the nights warm up so the warm season and native grass can grow more... then we'll need more rain more often!

Judy Harder

Afternoon,

My rain gauge here in Longton had almost a inch and a half
we got some pea size hail and it was noisy for a while......but slept
well with the rain coming down.

If we could get a nice rain like this once a month or so it would be great....
since this is Kansas and could have been snow, I guess I will thank my
lucky stars..........LOL.

I did get to walk today and the places I like to walk are very, very wet.
Good thing.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Roma Jean Turner

Wasadeay........................I love the picture you are using on the site.  Boy does it make me homesick for good old rural Kansas.

Tobina+1

Judy; glad you're safe and not too much hail.  Some of those storms that missed us looked like they were headed your way!
The worst feeling is the intermittent rain/hail.  Like it will be just a down-pour and then stop completely; I just think about what it's like around a tornado and freak myself out!

Roma Jean; are you doing another bike ride this summer?  You should try Bike Across Kansas!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk