Teen Town Dance (1957)

Started by genealogynut, April 06, 2007, 02:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant-Citizen
July 11, 1957

On July 1st, the Willet building was filled with teenagers, despite the warm weather, for a Teen Town dance.  The evening was spent dancing and talking over the summer's activities with friends we hadn't seen since school was out.

The music was furnished by Ken Koftan and Kenny Parker, who provided records and the record player. Not only round dancing was enjoyed but also square dancing.  Some of us found out that square dancing can be fun, but it just takes time to learn.  During the evening, pop and candy bars were served for refreshments.  We all departed agreeing that an evening of fun was had by all, but ended too soon.

genealogynut

I may have grown up in Howard, but it's beyond me on where the "Willet building" was located.

Janet Harrington

I will bet you money, marbles, and chalk, that Louise Cookson knows where the "Willett Building" was.  If I happen to see any of the old timers at coffee, I will ask.  Louie Wiseman is always a good one to ask. 

giester2

My mom told me that she attended the dance and the building is the National Bank Building.  The dance was held upstairs.  She had never heard it called the Willet Building either.
Born in Texas with Kansan Blood

patyrn

I think the Willet Building was north of Winn's Cafe on the west side of Main Street.  The 4-H County Agent's office was in the front, and the back room was often used for meetings, dinners, etc. and was a good place to dance on the concrete floor.  There was a kitchen area so snacks could be available.  I believe that was the Teen Town location that's being discussed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk