Blue Screen of Death

Started by W. Gray, March 05, 2009, 11:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: Warph on April 02, 2009, 03:30:53 PM
Quote from: srkruzich on March 05, 2009, 01:07:09 PM
drives. 

One thing to consider though backup onto a USB flash drive, I get them for about 5 - 10 bucks for a 4 gig flash and replace them every year or two.  their cheap and efficient.

OfficeMax has Verbatim 16gb UBS Flash Drives on sale right now at $39.99 if anybody's interested.  They normally go for $80 bucks.  Sold me on the price.

I've been picking up the 32gb ones for about the same price for a while.  But they will soon drop drastically as the U3 flash is coming into the market heavy.  The U3 are secureable and will be the new standard soon.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

dnalexander

I am using my new computer after going through the hard drive that would not boot and made noises that sounded like a pod of  angry dolphins or maybe a power steering pump that went out. While I had back ups of individual files I did not have back ups of everything like my internet book marks. For a while I was using an old laptop with ME which reminded me why it was such a disaster when it was new. I just bought a BIC disposable computer with Vista on it until Windows 7 comes out. Waldo I have some old dos programs too and I have them on a separate old hard drive that I keep adding to my new computers.

David

W. Gray

I have had both fixed hard drives and USB hard drives crash on me.

In the future, under the 64 bit windows systems, I may try to have a USB Drive dedicated to DOS assuming one can still get the MSDOS program from somewhere.

Only problem then is that all the new Windows printers are USB.

I currently get around that problem in XP and even 32 bit VISTA with a program called DOSPRN, but not sure how or if that will work with a DOS partition.

However, there is also a program out there called DOSBOX that supposedly allows running MSDOS in 64 bit systems without the MSDOS program. The older I get, I sure don't like running into these situations but I am not giving up my favorite DOS applications.

By the way, when we leave town, a flash drive with a lanyard and a backup of all my data goes around my neck. I started that when flash drives first held the tiniest of data.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Quote from: W. Gray on April 03, 2009, 06:32:17 PM
I have had both fixed hard drives and USB hard drives crash on me.

In the future, under the 64 bit windows systems, I may try to have a USB Drive dedicated to DOS assuming one can still get the MSDOS program from somewhere.

Only problem then is that all the new Windows printers are USB.

I currently get around that problem in XP and even 32 bit VISTA with a program called DOSPRN, but not sure how or if that will work with a DOS partition.

However, there is also a program out there called DOSBOX that supposedly allows running MSDOS in 64 bit systems without the MSDOS program. The older I get, I sure don't like running into these situations but I am not giving up my favorite DOS applications.

By the way, when we leave town, a flash drive with a lanyard and a backup of all my data goes around my neck. I started that when flash drives first held the tiniest of data.

Waldo thanks for telling about the other programs that help you run Dos applications, I am saving that for future reference.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk