I need to get rid of some moles, any ideas?

Started by Joanna, March 06, 2009, 02:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

We've got mole runs all over our yard.  Squirt is going nuts digging holes trying to catch them ~ our yard looks a little like a mine field with mounded tunnels and 18 inch holes criss crossing everywhere. >:( :(

I heard that Castor bean plants are a mole repellent, do any of you know if that's true?  I saw a farmer's garden once that had huge castor bean plants on the 4 corners... but never stopped to see if it worked for them.

I am not against killing them in any form, but don't want to leave poison out where other critters will get at it.  I won't use one of those spikey things you walk around & shove down all along the tunnels either... for one thing it would take me months to cover this whole block; and for another if I actually did feel it going into a rodent I'd get grossed out and probably go into convulsions myself. :P :-[ :-\

Any of you have any experience with this problem?

Jane

Joanna,
First of all you need to get rid of the grubs in your yard, that is what the moles are after. I know we used a sack of stuff that killed the grubs and we got rid of the moles. I bought it at Ace hardward. I bet Mark Cookson has some or can get it for you. Since we have about 2 acres we only used it up around the house.
Jane :)

Diane Amberg

At first I was going to suggest seeing a Dermatologist, but I think getting rid of the grubs will work better in your case.  No grubs, no moles. Most any good garden store should be able to suggest what to use. Milky Spore will help over time. You may have only a couple of moles as they can make a lot of runs each day. You might walk on the runs to squash them down and maybe you can pinpoint where they are active.

Rudy Taylor

Amen on getting rid of the grubs.

Secondly, I've had good luck with a mole trap. Sometimes you'd swear there are dozens of the little critters, but trapping one little mole usually does the trick.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

Carl Harrod

I have not tried this myself so I can't say if it works or not, but i have been told this will work:

Take a gas chainsaw and leave it running just sitting on the ground where the moles have been digging. Supposedly the vibrations from the motor act like a mini-earthquake and drive the moles away.

Ms Bear

If you can find the hole you can drop a few mothballs in and the moles will move out.  It works here in Texas.

Joanna

Quote from: Carl Harrod on March 07, 2009, 11:08:13 PMTake a gas chainsaw and leave it running ...

Your're funny  ::)  As if I could keep my chain saw running  :-\   ;)

I'll go check with Mark & see what he's got. If I kill all the grubs though, that's not good for my garden soil is it?  I guess I don't have any qualms about sprinkling stuff to get rid of fleas in the grass or Sevin dust for squash bugs, so maybe it's not a real problem.

I do try to step down on the runs whenever I happen to be near one, I probably look like I'm taking one of those DUI tests I've seen on TV walking heal-to-toe ~ especially since the uneaven ground makes me wobble like a Weeble.

Diane Amberg

There are lots of microorganisms that are good for you garden soil. Grubs are not! They eat grass and plant roots and weaken your yard. Get rid of them.

sixdogsmom

A lot of people use those whirlygigs that look like sunflowers to provide the vibrations ala chainsaw motor. Some say it works well; I find my cat does a pretty good job of elimination of moles, he just doesn't eat the two back feet, eeewww. Not a pretty sight. I am like you, I have to spread poison of any kind and will try about anything to avoid it.  :P
Edie

Joanna

Quote from: sixdogsmom on March 08, 2009, 12:12:12 PM... he just doesn't eat the two back feet, eeewww...

Ha!That sounds like our dog Squirt.  She catches some and chases all of them.  She's learned not to bring me her prizes though, I just take them away from her.  Besides Squirt, we have our two wild kitties Lester & Fifi, plus Felix the Cat (our neighbor) and occasional strays. They are all fat as can be, so I have to assume they are catching something...  I'm not complaining though because so far they seem to be keeping the armadillos away and that's worth a LOT.  Oh, by the way, we have very few strays around now compared to the last couple years. That's a nice thing...

Diane, I know you are right about grubs; however if you'd ever seen my yard you'd know I"m not too worried about the grass.   :laugh:  I put some of the stones I collected for my flower garden across where I walk most so I wouldn't be bringing in so much mud...(I never seem to stay on the sidewalk) Someday I plan to have nice grass though, so I guess I may as well get rid of the grubs now.  Hmm, maybe the moles aren't so bad after all? ??? Just kidding, I plan to get rid of them...

I'm still wondering about the castor bean thing though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk