State Sovereignty or Secession

Started by redcliffsw, February 24, 2009, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redcliffsw

Atlanta - There's an old joke in South Carolina: Confederate President Jefferson Davis may have surrendered at the Burt-Stark mansion in Abbeville, S.C., in 1865, but the people of state Rep. Michael Pitts's district never did.

With revolutionary die-hards behind him, Mr. Pitts has fired a warning shot across the bow of the Washington establishment. As the writer of one of 28 state "sovereignty bills" – one even calls for outright dissolution of the Union if Washington doesn't rein itself in – Pitts is at the forefront of a states' rights revival, reasserting their say on everything from stem cell research to the Second Amendment.

"Washington can be a bully, but there's evidence right now that there are people willing to resist our bully," said Pitts, by phone from the state capitol of Columbia.

Just as California under President Bush asserted itself on issues ranging from gun control to medical marijuana, a motley cohort of states – from South Carolina to New Hampshire, from Washington State to Oklahoma – are presenting a foil for President Obama's national ambitions. And they're laying the groundwork for a political standoff over the 10th Amendment, which cedes all power not granted to Washington to the people.

The movement's success will largely depend on whether Washington sees these legislative insurgents as serious – or, as Pitts puts it, as just "a bunch of rednecks."

"There's a lot of frustration when someone quite distant from you forces you to do something you don't want to do," says Steve Smith, director of the Weidenbaum Center on the Economy, Government and Public Policy at Washington University in D.C. "That's the root cause, and it ends up being rationalized in constitutional terms."

Read the rest of the story........

http://www.csmonitor.com/2009/0327/p02s01-usgn.html

redcliffsw

Looks like the Texas gov'ner is toying with secession, but he's probably just looking for popularity - ya think?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/04/15/governor-says-texans-want-secede-union-probably-wont/

Varmit

I don't think that we have reached the point of secession yet, but if thing don't change, who knows.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Wilma

Billy, you are right here.  We are not ready for secession.  Running away has never solved anything.

Varmit

I am not suggesting that the states should run away just hold the gov't in check.  If the Federal gov't would adhere to the Constitution, like it should, I think we would have an even stronger country.  I think that is what the states are telling the gov't...well that and that they are tired of the fed. gov't overstepping its bounds.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

dnalexander

I understand the frustration of modern day US states where the topic of secession comes up. Hawaii, California, Texas, and Alaska among others have had these movements in recent modern times. I think though when they consider all the disadvantages of leaving the US to effectively be their own country they realize things would be much harder\worse for them on their own. It does bring good publicity to their cause and encourages a healthy debate. Cutting off your your nose to spite the face (did I get that metaphor correct?)

David

Varmit

I could see where it would be difficult at first.  The trick would be getting everyone in the state on the same wavelength.  You sure couldn't have an entitlement mentality.  Everyone would have to do their share.  I think that alaska and texas would have the best chance of pulling it off.  Another danger would be if they did get it up and running and were doing well, they would have to watch who they let in.

pam

Ha the Sioux Nation delivered a message to Congress last summer declaring sovereignty and declaring the Treaty of 1868 null and void having been violated by the United States.....claiming ownership of South Dakota, NorthDakota, parts of Montana, Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado and Idaho I believe and it never even made the friggin news. They call it the Republic of Lakotah. They were offering to let anybody who renounced their US citizenship to live there and be a free and full member. Nobody has paid them any attention at all..........
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Varmit

Unfortunately pam, that is the problem with sucession, you have to be willing to back it up when someone calls your bluff.  Don't get me wrong here, I have a lot of respect for the Sioux Peoples, my grandmother was Lakota, and I have an aunt that is Oneida.  What I see though is a lack of organization and preparedness on both the Sioux and on the States part.  You can't just say "ok, thats it, we're pulling out of the union" and expect everyone to play by your rules, you have to be willing to fight for it.

pam

I know...........boy I wish you all could hear what I am hearin right now :) My wolves are howling together...sounds like singin!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk