State Sovereignty or Secession

Started by redcliffsw, February 24, 2009, 12:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Varmit

I wouldn't worry too much about that wilma, they did it once before.
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

redcliffsw

More on a parting of the ways......... 

I often get mail from readers inquiring on what to do to advance the cause of secession in their respective locales. So I'd like to discuss a few ideas on how it has worked in the past and how it may work in the future. I would first dispose of the canard that it is traitorous or unpatriotic to consider this. Do you suppose our rulers in DC abide by the rule of law, see the Constitution (I prefer the DI) as a bedrock document and seek to respect the real diversity in America (not the silly race, class & gender motif)? That diversity is the vast gulf in tolerance for levels of government as opposed to governance. Government is the command and control apparatus to manipulate people through coercion and violence. The distinction is that governance can occur in a minarchist or stateless realm because it runs the gamut from forms of external control to the personal controls of one's own nature and relationship in society. Positive self-governance is the ability not only to do right by yourself but use your self-interest to serve others e.g., a business or voluntary work in a community and do them no harm. You have to ask whether your own philosophical ideas emanate from law or party; from conviction or the desire to get ahead at other people's expense. You have to pry out the deeper recesses of who you are to divine what your motivations are in your community. If you conclude that in order for you to get ahead in life, you must use the vicious power of government to achieve this, secession may not fit you. The new regime in town will see that your needs are answered...for a while. Until they run out of money or create a state so suffocating that 1984 looks like a resort lifestyle.

rest of the story-

http://lewrockwell.com/buppert/buppert23.html

larryJ

While the feds may or may not be able to stop a state from seceding, why would any state actually want to?  I know, there are going to be those who feel that seceding would be a better way to live than under the thumb of the feds and the constitution.  But, as I have pointed out somewhere on this forum, landlocked states couldn't survive and states such as those with a coast and heavy manufacturing and agriculture probably would have a better shot at it.  I know I wouldn't be in favor of it.  I wouldn't want to have to carry my passport just to visit my friends and relatives in Kansas!

I have read a lot about the Civil War since I have been retired.  I have often wondered why the North (read feds) just didn't say goodbye and good riddance.  The South's economy would have had a hard time surviving.  Had the South not instigated incidents which were attacks on the Feds, they might not have been a war.  If the South would have left well enough alone and tried to live in a separate environment taking care of themselves, things would have been different.  Now don't get me wrong.  The North was just as guilty of bad feelings.  If there had been no attacks or violence, the South could have become a separate entity and if the North had not reciprocated in the acts of violence and just accepted the South as another country, they could have become trading partners and the South could have made it.  When the South declared their sovereignty, the North said hey no you can't do that and the fight was on.  This was a terrible war and in my mind a waste of people's lives.  I would hope that if a state such as Texas would secede, there would not be a war over it.  Hopefully we have learned from the last time.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Yes, especially if Mexico decides to take Texas back.  ;D

Catwoman

Uh...Hate to break this to you...But take a trip down Tay-Hahs way...The Mexicans have already taken back a huge portion of South Texas...Two of my close friends taught and are teaching in Texas...And you really need to have a working knowledge of how to speak Spanish in order to survive teaching down there.  You also need to be able to pack in a lot of knowledge in a fairly short amount of time, as the rate of transiency is extremely high. 

Diane Amberg

I'm sure that is very true. One of my friends is from El Paso, still has family there. He grew up totally bilingual because of the influence even then. Now he lives in Michigan, just a bit different. :D

Varmit

Quote from: Catwoman on May 18, 2009, 06:39:37 PM
...And you really need to have a working knowledge of how to speak Spanish in order to survive teaching down there.  You also need to be able to pack in a lot of knowledge in a fairly short amount of time, as the rate of transiency is extremely high. 

That is pathetic.  Those people need to be rounded up and sent back to mexico. 
It is high time we eased the drought suffered by the Tree of Liberty. Let us not stand and suffer the bonds of tyranny, nor ignorance, laziness, cowardice. It is better that we die in our cause then to say that we took counsel among these.

Teresa

In whatever way it takes to do it too........... :police:
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

How can you round up American citizens and send them back to Mexico just because they are Hispanic and live in Texas? Some of those people have been citizens for generations. Illegals yes, citizens no!

Varmit

If a person wants to be a citizen of a county they should learn how to speak the common language of that county.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk