Kansas Looks To Superglue Some Marriage Bonds

Started by Warph, February 20, 2010, 11:46:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

The only truly happy marriage that I have witnessed in my lifetime was between a blind woman and a deaf man ....Warph

Kansas Looks To Superglue Some Marriage Bonds
By DAVID KLEPPER - The Star's Topeka correspondent
Kansascity.com

TOPEKA | Kansas lawmakers have a plan to put the deadbolt back in wedlock: optional "covenant marriages" that could be ended for only specific reasons or after a trial separation.

To break these bonds of matrimony, couples would have to undergo marriage counseling and live apart for at least a year. Divorces also could be granted after an infidelity or when one spouse has committed domestic violence or has been convicted of a serious crime.

Couples would have to undergo premarital counseling to qualify and sign an affidavit affirming that their marriage is for life. Covenant marriages also would cost more — $25 on top of the existing $69 marriage license fee.

Already married couples could upgrade to the covenant marriage. Same-sex couples would be ineligible.

The House endorsed the measure Thursday. A final vote today will send the bill to the Senate.

Supporters noted voters outlawed same-sex marriage to defend the sanctity of marriage. But covenant marriage — for those who want them — is a way to go on the offensive.

"We are not forcing anybody into this agreement," said Rep. Anthony Brown, a Eudora Republican. "It's not going back to the 1800s. It's still the same marriage law, unless you and your partner decide to go through a covenant marriage process."

For those who like to know where the exits are, standard marriage — which allows for no-fault divorce — would remain available.

Critics contend that the extra obstacles could trap abused spouses or prolong the agony of couples who were never meant to be.

"We need to be in touch with reality," said House Minority Leader Paul Davis, a Lawrence Democrat. "Some people who get married discover they shouldn't have gotten married. ... I don't want to force those people to stay in a marriage that is hurting them."

Only Arkansas, Arizona and Louisiana have covenant marriages on the books.

Earlier Thursday, the House passed and sent to the Senate a bill waiving the state's $69 marriage license fee for couples who sign an affidavit stating they lack the resources to pay.

Rep. Jan Pauls said it was too bad some couples couldn't afford the fee. But the Hutchinson Democrat added: "Maybe they're going to just live on love."

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sixdogsmom

I read this yesterday; it looks like our legistature has run out of things to do. Maybe they should adjourn early, turn out the lights, and save a few bucks. It might help with the states' deficit.
Edie

srkruzich

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Teresa

Quote from: Warph on February 20, 2010, 11:46:11 AM
The only truly happy marriage that I have witnessed in my lifetime was between a blind woman and a deaf man ....Warph

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jarhead

What did you say WARPH ? You're gonna have to speak up son !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk