The ambulance went west . . .

Started by Mom70x7, January 29, 2009, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mom70x7

A little after 5 pm today, the ambulance went west on Washington. Anybody know how come?

Normally it turns east, towards the highway or the nursing home.

Wilma

Do we know anything more this morning? 

W. Gray

In my weekly chat with Howard, could not come with any information on the west bound ambulance.

However, my understanding is that Margaret Gragg is in the Eureka hospital from the nursing home. Apparently been there a few days.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

S-S

The scanner said it was a "fall victim" on Road 15. The Lucille Pitts residence.

Also, it has been a busy day for area firefighters. There was a machine shed on fire on Pioneer Road which then spread into a grass fire. There was so much smoke, Billy said he could see it from Moline. A few firemen left that fire and headed to Severy to assist Greenwood Co. with a few fires. One, people were burning trash and it got away from them and the other a firefighter found in route to the trash fire.

Who burns trash when the wind is blowing like this?????

indygal

I was returning from Eureka around noon and saw the smoke as soon as I turned south on 99. I passed Pioneer just as an emergency vehicle turned onto the road and headed east. The sheriff, fire truck and ambulance followed. I have to admit my eyes welled up with pride, recognizing the faces driving those trucks and knowing what good-hearted and hard-working neighbors they are. Thank you, Elk County firefighters and emergency personnel!

Wilma

We just got back to Howard and while coming south on 99 we could see smoke south and west of Howard, probably west of Moline or even further.  I am not a good judge of distance.  Wonder what it was. 

Only stupid people burn anything on a day like this.

S-S

The fire on Pioneer flared back up again. That was about 30-45 minutes ago. Then they were headed to a fire in Fall River also.

Catwoman

I didn't realize Margaret Gragg had gone into the nursing home...and now she's in the hospital?  Sure hope she's doing OK...She's another one of those Elk County originals that is irreplacable...I truly loved talking with that lady. 

Tobina+1

This is a very dangerous time of the year.  We have lots of grass from all the rain last summer, and since it's been dry any little thing can set off a grass fire.  Couple that with high winds, and you've got a recipe for disaster.  In my opinion, they should outlaw smoking this time of year.  People throwing butts out windows and it lands in the grass and they have no idea what they just caused.  Really, when it's dry like this, even someone dragging a hitch chain along the highway can set a spark off into the grass.  Remember the trucker last year who had a brake on fire and drove from Andover to Augusta setting fires along the way before they got him stopped?
Ranchers should have their fire rigs filled up and ready to go by now.  If anyone lives next to large areas of tall grass or bale piles, I'd consider digging out a garden hose to keep handy.  And remember; this IS Kansas.  Just because it's not windy now, doesn't mean it won't be by the time your trash fire gets going nice and hot. 

W. Gray

In the have you ever wondered department:

Whatever happened to the gasoline tanker trucks going from the bulk storage areas to the service stations that had a small chain suspended from the rear dragging on the highway and sometimes emitting sparks?

Seemed like it might have been the law for that small chain at one time?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk