Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, January 24, 2009, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Marcia, I know the school house I am going to mention is south of where you are concentrating, but was wondering if anyone remembers Excelsor School house that was south of Hunters and back to the east.  It sat on the north side of the road.  Can't remember if it had two front doors or not.  Maybe someone will remember or will have a picture of it.  Still trying to think about the picture you posted yesterday.
Myrna

Clubine Ranch

Quote from: frawin on January 25, 2009, 10:38:44 AM
Marcia, I know the school house I am going to mention is south of where you are concentrating, but was wondering if anyone remembers Excelsor School house that was south of Hunters and back to the east.  It sat on the north side of the road. 
Myrna, While Dale and I lived on the Copperhead Gulch Ranch from 1967 to 1972 we had to drive to the The Excelsor School and pick up our daily mail. Kind of fun when you timed it just right and others in the area where picking up their mail. Gertrude Sherman was sometimes there and it was easy to talk to her. Tina Hubbells folks Garroldo (spell ?) had a box there, but don't remember visiting with them. seems like another box but the name escapes me now. We believe that the school was moved to another location during that time or close to it but don't know where, did it go to town? North of Margaret Greggs museum? Guessing, don't know. Barbara and Dale

Wilma

The school house in the museum complex was the Union Center school from out at Lynn Perkins.  I am thinking that my husband went to the Excelsior school but he isn't here now to tell us anything about it.  Maybe if I am right, Jo can tell us.

Marty Hunter

Frank, I think the Excelsior school house had two doors on the South.   The building was moved into Howard by Bud Meisch and it is part of the house where Jim Stange lives.   Marty

frawin

Thanks Marty, I was trying to remember, I went by it everyday for two years as I farmed and ran cattle on the Gibson place right East of it. Myrna's mother said she thought it had two doors also. Did your Uncle Jack, Aunt Berniece or your Dad go to Grade school there or did they go into Howard. It would have been about the same distance either place. If they went to Excelsior, could one of them be in the picture, I looked at my Howard Alumni books and your Aunt Berniece graduated in 1933 and your Uncle Jack graduated in 1936 and your father in 1947. It is a shame so many of those old schools disappeared without much history recorded about them.
Frank

Wilma

Is there a date with that photo?  If it is the school that my husband attended and he is in the photo, it would be about 1934-35.  Jo, where are you?  We need your input.

Marcia Moore

Removed.

frawin

Marcia, I checked all of the Cenus records from 1900 to 1930 and didn't find any Baumans in Elk County during that time.
Frank

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Ms Bear

I didn't find them on the 1905 Kansas State Census and didn't get to the 1915 today.  Will keep watching.

Ms Bear

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk