Removed.

Started by Marcia Moore, January 24, 2009, 04:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Removed.

hhjacobs

It looks like it might be UPPER PAW PAW school before the addition on the West end????????

Marcia Moore

Removed.

Ole Granny

Looks a lot like Star west of Moline.  Not saying it is but same style.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

sixdogsmom

This is off the subject, but then again maybe not. I used to own the little house located at 414 W.2nd street here in Moline. It was obvious that at some time it had been added onto at the back. I was told that an old school house was moved in and tacked onto the back. And you could see where indeed a small building was added on and then expanded to make a bedroom and kitchen. This would have been the old Dodson home, they owned the jewelry store here in Moline at one time. In fact I did meet Goldie Dodson when we first came here. Anyway, out of curiosity does anyone know where this old schoolhouse came from? It would have been very small. not nearly as large as the Paw Paw or other examples I have seen here. Any ideas?
Edie

frawin

Marcia, that might be Independence, I will check with Myrna she has pictures of Independence, I think. It looks alot like Independence as I remember it.

frawin

That's a pretty typical of school houses in that area.  The name doesn't ring a bell with me as ever having been anyone living up around there by that name.  What I am wondering is ---it appears there are two doors in the front.  Independence had only one door.  Also, Independence had only one step up and had a large slab (square) in front of the door.  This pictures shows three steps.  I'll do some checking and see if Mom knows anyone by that name. 
Myrna

Ole Granny

Quote from: sixdogsmom on January 24, 2009, 07:01:32 PM
This is off the subject, but then again maybe not. I used to own the little house located at 414 W.2nd street here in Moline. It was obvious that at some time it had been added onto at the back. I was told that an old school house was moved in and tacked onto the back. And you could see where indeed a small building was added on and then expanded to make a bedroom and kitchen. This would have been the old Dodson home, they owned the jewelry store here in Moline at one time. In fact I did meet Goldie Dodson when we first came here. Anyway, out of curiosity does anyone know where this old schoolhouse came from? It would have been very small. not nearly as large as the Paw Paw or other examples I have seen here. Any ideas?

Off subject but you sure stirred up memories!  Don't know anything about the add-on.  I'm sure my Dad would have known.  Goldie was a sweet lady. Their son, Dale and wife, Jeris Pat were great fun.  Her parents and mine had cabins next to each other at the Old City Lake. Jeris worked for the folks in the cafe. Dale would come by our house to wake my brother up for early morning fishing.  He always knocked on my window so I could get him up.  Fun times.  For a time Jeris and Dale ran the Cattleman's Motel and Bar.  Sure miss them.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

sixdogsmom

Granny, I uncovered a strip of sidewalk in the front yard at that house, it had Dales name engraved in it. In front of the garage and along the side has a brick paving. The bricks came from the Cedarvale RR station I was told. I was also told that the garage was constructed from materials salvaged from that station. I can believe it as the upper beams are quite large. I brought a stored beam from the rafters of that garage with me when I moved from there. That beam is currently being used as a brace across the dining room floor in the cellar of this house. So you never know where things will end up do you?
Edie

Ms Bear

I am browsing the 1905 and 1915 Kansas State Census for my Taylors, Drapers, Hubbards and Williams.  I will watch for the Bauman family.  Wonder if he was the teacher.  I will post if I find anything.

Ms Bear

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk