The Library

Started by Warph, January 17, 2009, 03:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

My mother promoted reading to all of us girls and we all read books like there is no tomorrow.  I don't know what I would do if I couldn't have books to read.  I have many, many books as my husband will attest to.

My earliest memory of a library was of the Eureka Library.  They now have a new library that I am going to have to go see one of these days.  The library was a two story library and the childrens books were in the basement.  That basement was one of the coolest places to be on a hot summer day.  I was thrilled when I was old enough to borrow a book from the upstairs floor.  I remember checking out a biography on Sammy Davis, Jr.  It was a really good book.  We read the Grimms Fairy Tale books and Mother Goose Nursery Rhymes.  I don't know if children read those books now or not.

If my mother told me that I could not read a book, I would read it anyway to see what the big deal was.  Anyway, libraries are the best thing any town can have and I totally promote the use of libraries.

Warph

Quote from: sixdogsmom on January 17, 2009, 05:32:28 PM
Amen Warph, amen! Btw, new puppy? Tell all, just don't hint. Post a photo even hmmmm????  :D :D

Sorry I missed this, SDM..... yep, Rowdy has a new girlfriend called Chilita, one year old long-hair Chihuahua who was found in a parking lot in Mesa.  We got her through a rescue site and are really pleased with her except for the 3 a.m. bit of taking her out to pee most mornings.  I think she might have a little Min Pin in her.  I'll try and figure out how to get a picture of her and Rowdy on here.   
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

sixdogsmom

Oh, long hair chihooie! They are so cute. I remember one time that I almost brought one home. I was at a yard sale and they had the cutest little gal there. She was purebred long hair chihuahua with the name of Isabel. She really took up with me and when I got ready to leave she was determined to go with me. They had to literally carry her back to the house. I have often thought about this little dog. She was so cute. I have a little black (mostly grey now) chihuahua named Minnie Jane. She pretty much rules the roost having the heart of a rotweiler. Nobody messes with her. She really misses Ted as she spent most of her time sitting in the chair with him. I spend a little time each day in that chair for her comfort. She will be 16 this coming July3. My Rowdy was Ted's go dog, as they spent a little time most days driving around town seeing the sights. Enjoy!
Edie

Roma Jean Turner

Reading was always a part of my life.  In the original library in Chanute, the children's library was upstairs and the adult was downstairs.   I started becoming bored upstairs and started looking through the books downstairs.  I wanted to check out 'War and Peace', have no idea why, but that is what I picked.  The librarian called my mother at work and told her she thought I was to young to read adult books,.... language and all.  Anyway, my mother said "let her check out anything she wants in the entire library.   I'll look at it when she gets it home. I'd rather she be checking something out of the library than doing a lot of other things."  I felt so special to be able to go downstairs and get books.  Ha, ha.

I love our big libraries we have now with the restaurant, gift shop, meeting rooms etc.  I love to take my computer and go back to the geneology room.  I tell them it is the one most peaceful place to be in the whole town.

Teresa

send me the pictures Warph in an e-mail.. I'll do the work of getting them on here for you. :-*
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk