Jess and Marie Roberts Are Grandparents! (unusual birth announcement)

Started by genealogynut, August 25, 2006, 01:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant Citizen
Thursday, April 30, 1942

Mr. and Mrs. Jess Roberts of Howard received word last week that a daughter had arrived in their family making them grandparents for the first time, and making Mr. and Mrs. L. F. Roberts great-grandparents.  The mother of the new babe before her marriage was Miss Dortha Mae Roberts of Howard.  Both she and her husband are associated with a theatrical troupe and the announcement of the birth of the baby is worded in theatrical terms: "Dr. T. G. Walker presents for an indefinite engagement the sensational 7 1/2 pound baby star, Roberta Lee Wilkes, in 'Just Arrived'.  First appearance 3:00 p.m., Wednesday, April 22, 1942, Volbrecht hospital, Riceville, Iowa.  Cast: Mother, Dortha Mae Roberts Wilkes; Father, Mason Wilkes, Extras and Supers, Nurses, Men in White, etc. N. B. Miss Wilkes is assisted in all her quick changes.  Musical program:  "Yes Sir!  That's My Baby," piano by Mason; "Rockabye My Baby Blues" song by Dortha; "You've Got Me Crying, Again," sung by Roberta; "I Don't Want To Walk Without You," Baby Ensemble, Wardrobe by Vanta, powder by Mennen''s."  The new baby is fortunate in having two great-grandfathers and two great-grandmothers, all living.  "Roberta Lee" was named in honor of her maternal great-grandmother and great grandfather, "Roberta" and "Lee" Roberts of Howard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk