My dumb stunt for the year!!! Do you have any?

Started by Judy Harder, December 21, 2008, 05:47:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Well, I did it, I had a dumb moment and I am still shaking my head and coughing, too.

My  Yorkie needed a bath and I read that it would be a good thing to have a nice warmish towel
to dry her on when we got through. I don't own a dryer...need laundry room and it is too cold to go out!

I am sure glad she only weighs around 2 1/2 pounds, it was like holding a wiggly worm and after I dried her off
I decided she needed some warmth, so I stuck a small hand towel in the Microwave to nuke it warm.

I usually put my rice bag in on a minute and a half and I did turn on the microwave for that time.............and took her
back into  the heated bathroom and dried her some more and it only took a little bit and I opened the door and smoke was rolling
and the apartment was stinking to the max.........my towel was just a second or two from catching fire........I almost put it in for 2 minutes.......that would have started a fire for real. I opened the door and turned on exhaust fans and aired out the place.

It is too  cold out for a fire-alarm call.  God and MY ANGELS were watching out for me. I only lost one of my favorite towels
and will spend the evening smelling the smoke and nasty smell of a singed/burnt towel.

Sassy-Squirt came through it just fine.........I won't soon for get my dumb, de, dumb dumb stunt.
Think I should have made it 30 seconds.........or just plain did NOT heat the towel.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Tobina+1

:o  Oh, Judy!  You're so lucky!  I heard a similar story about someone trying to heat their slippers in the micro and caught them on fire...
I have a heating pad that I put in the micro for 2 minutes at a time, but it does have some moisture in it.  I've heard that you can put sponges and dishrags in the micro to kill bacteria... but they, too, need to be wet/damp.  Next time, maybe just put the towel over the heat vent?  BE CAREFUL!  Last thing you and the little ones need is to be out in the cold this time of year!

Catwoman

Your towels have to be wet before they can be put into the micro...I always wrap my potatoes in cut-up towels to keep them from drying out as I bake them...but the towels have to be wet/damp to go around them.  Works like a charm! :-)

Judy Harder

Well, the pup got dried off and I was/am the one who is paying for it today.
My apartment is small 3 rooms and if you know Low-income housing not vented
very well.

I may have to wait for a heat wave,so I can open the doors and windows,  but I am still smelling the smoky and burnt odors.
I googled this afternoon and am trying a few of their ideas.............soda (I have already used
vinegar) and will let the soda sit in the oven over night and then I will try another way.

Do you have any ideas how I can get the smell out of my apartment and or the microwave.

Everytime I turn on the mwo (thank God it still works) the stink gets bad.
I have learned my lesson......next time know better.

I told my lady friends today and they looked at me so funny. You would think NO ONE ELSE did anything
so dumb.

Oh well, I am safe, the dogs are safe, my apartment didn't catch on fire......God is good!!
Thanks for caring.

God bless
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

Have you cleaned the inside of the microwave?  Mine retains the smell of popcorn for several days.

Here is my dumb stunt.  Just the other day I was listening to someone say to not put your potato peelings down the disposal, especially if you have quite a few from a holiday meal.  Did this register with me?  Of course not.  I always put the potato peelings down the disposal, all 2 or 3 potatoes worth.

I had company yesterday.  All my direct descendants were here and I peeled potatoes for at least 20 people, then I proceeded to put the peelings through the disposal.  After a little the sink drain got sluggish, then it died.  Just when the company was arriving.  One daughter continued with the cooking while 2 daughters worked on the sink.  We had already ascertained that the rest of the house was draining all right.  Finally with some mighty plunges with a plunger, they dislodged whatever the blockage was, which I suspect was the finely ground up potato peelings.  I suspected this since there were tiny bits of potato peelings in the sink and they weren't washing away with water.  My theory is that the tiny ground up bits of potato peelings packed together in the elbow and didn't float away like they should have.

So, if you are peeling potatoes for a lot of people and are planning on flushing the peelings, change your mind and throw them out to the chickens instead.

pepelect

or better yet lay them out on a cookie sheet cover them with butter bacon and cheese....Broil for a taste appetizer. 

You would have to pay $8 for that anywhere else.  Mighty tasty.....

Jo McDonald

WOW  Pep --- what a GREAT tasty tip.  Thanks from Texas!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Ms Bear

Judy, try putting a couple of drops of vanilla in the water you use to wipe out your microwave to help get rid of the smoke/burnt odor.

A friend of mine noticed she had moisture in her watch, a minute in the microwave took care of the watch and the microwave.  Almost took care of the brand new travel trailer too.

Glad you and puppy are okay.
Ms Bear

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk