BATSON, John E. - b. July 2, 1922 - d. December 17, 2008

Started by patyrn, December 17, 2008, 04:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

John E. Batson, 86 of Howard, Kansas, passed away Wednesday, December 17, 2008 at the Twilight Manor in Howard.  John was born July 2, 1922 in Howard, Kansas, the son of John and Isabelle (Tonkin) Batson.  After high school, John went to the Kansas City School of Pharmacy.  He owned and operated Batson Pharmacy in Howard and practiced as a pharmacist for over 50 years.

On October 1, 1944 in Corpus Christi, Texas, John married Marjorie Mary Finley.  They were married for 58 years until her death in November 2002.  John was in the United States Navy from 1951 to 1954 where he received his honorable discharge  He was a member of the Howard United Methodist Church where he was very active until he could no longer do so.  John held the position of Mayor of Howard for many years.  He also served as a councilman.  He was a member of the Lions Club and the American Legion.  In his spare time, John enjoyed fishing, hunting, and collecting coins.

John is survived by one sister, Vivian Barnhart of Howard, Kansas; two nephews, John Barnhart and wife Jan of Rose Hill, Kansas and Rick Barnhart of Eureka, Kansas; 2 great-nephews; and 1 great-great niece.  John was preceded in death by his parents and his wife, Marjorie.

Cremation has been requested.  A graveside memorial service will be held at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, December 22, 2008 at Grace Lawn Cemetery in Howard, Kansas with Pastor Charles Cryderman officiating.  The family suggests memorial contributions to the Howard United Methodist Church of Hospice Care of Kansas and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home, P.O. Box 1233, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas  67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

jprxmkt

He was a great man. He gave most of his life to down town Wabash street. He will be missed!

Mom70x7

momof 2boys

While in high school, I worked for John after school and on Saturday mornings.  Those Saturday mornings it was just John and I working.  Those are special times for me.  He would tease me something awful! I will miss him so!

Catwoman

Mr. Batson was a favorite of mine...and held a wonderful conversation.  He made me feel quite at home in Elk County.  I will miss him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk