Moline Library Update

Started by Happy Librarian, December 09, 2008, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Librarian

Not bad at all ! That doesn't include the audio books and movies. Oh! one more thing the coffee is always free.
Kristi

W. Gray

I had some figures showing the number of library volumes that Elk and Chautauqua counties had in 1875, but, as usual, cannot locate them. I was surprised that there were local libraries then.

Chautauqua had the larger number but most in that county were in private collections. Elk did not have any private collections listed. There was nothing listed for Moline since it was not around yet.

I suppose other public libraries are the same way now but our local Arapahoe County library has a check out system in which there is no contact with a librarian. One scans his library card at a scanner, then scans the book, then takes a receipt and walks out. Almost like a self checkout in Walmart.

Most of the time, I don't even see a librarian but I know they are there because I can hear them talking behind a partition. Don't know if the theft rate has increased since they put the system in a few years ago.

It must have been a huge effort to put bar codes on each volume in the library. The card catalogs have given way to computer files, which can be accessed on the internet also.

Under this system, one cannot look inside the cover and see how many times or how frequently a book has been checked out.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Chautauqua County had four public libraries and eighty-seven private libraries with a total of 5,914 volumes. Public library names were not listed.

Elk County had four public libraries in four townships with 1,739 volumes. Township names were not listed.

From a New Centennial History of the State of Kansas Being a Full and Complete Civil, Political and Military History of the State, From Its Earliest Settlement to the Present Time, by Professor Charles Tuttle, 1876.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Happy Librarian

I know alot of even smaller libraries are beginning to automate. I believe that Howard and Sedan were at one time scheduled for automation but I don't know if it was ever carried through at either library.  I am not convinced that it is cost effective for smaller libraries. It can be quite costly for all the supplies needed to automate (this cost would include computer equipment and software needed. I think the state would like all libraries automated, for Interlibrary Loan purposes. Thanks for the interesting facts on both counties.

Happy Librarian

Well the walls are up and yesterday they started putting the roof trusses on. Really starting to look like a building.

Roma Jean Turner

Do you take book donations?  I would be happy to drop some off on my travels through Moline.

Happy Librarian

Yes we do take used books. We are glad to have them.

Happy Librarian

Well we are all enclosed except for the door and window. The roofers have been notified that the building is ready to roof. The Brick guy has been here to match the brick. The electrician was there today for the first time. The metal guy will be here some time this week to measure for the fascia. Just a reminder we are still doing the penny drive because we are still coming up short for the built in storage and circulation desk. So keep saving that pocket change.

Diane Amberg

The metal guy is coming? There has to be a lion and scarecrow joke in there somewhere. ;D ;D ;D

Tobina+1

Ahem... Diane... it has been a while since you've been to Kansas, apparently... it's the TIN MAN, not the metal guy!   8)   ;D 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk