Moline Library Update

Started by Happy Librarian, December 09, 2008, 09:39:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy Librarian

The footings and pad have been poured, and the roof trusses are done and in the contractors shop. So you should start to see alot more activity with the building very soon. The Library Hours are Tues. 9am-12,Wednesday 9-5, Sat. 9-12. Once expasion is done we will be looking to expand hours to hopefully open on a daily basis. The expansion is being paid for by the Library with funds that have donated or memorials left to the Library over the years. We have had great support from the community and have received some very generous donations from local organizations and individuals. Kristi

Buddyboy

I am so happy to see that there are going to be changes. I helped to move the library with Esther across the street in the 1980's. Good thoughts coming your way.

W. Gray

I guess I missed something either here or in the newspaper.

Is there a new library going up, or an expansion?

I have always wanted to stop and go in the Moline library but have always come through town at the wrong time.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Clubine Ranch

The Moline Library will have an addition to the present building and going to the North. Maybe Kristi could post a picture the architect's  design of the addition. Plus maybe she could post the hours the library is open. Know a lot of our friends on the Form both near and far will be interested on the progress. Barbara

Happy Librarian

The Lang Construction of Independence is on site today to start framing. Looks like we will start to see real progress now.
Kristi

W. Gray

Curious:

How much bigger will the library be when finished?

Is the extra room for more stack space or for general purpose use?

How many volumes does the library have?
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Happy Librarian

I don't have the plans at the house for actual dimensions, but we will double our space. The current library will be the new childrens section and the expansion will hold the adult stacks. Our hope is to use mobile stacks in the childrens section so that stacks can be moved to provide more space for summer reading activities, and for multipurpose use for the community. We are wnating to implement some new programs,classes,after school programs with the new space and extended hours. During the summer I have quite a few high school kids that help with summer reading, and normally if I need a volunteer i have several loyal patrons that can aslways be counted on to help. But we don't really have an existing volunteer program. If I need to be gone during Library hours I can usually count on Mom (Pat McCarty) to volunteer to fill in. Kristi

Happy Librarian

Sorry mis-read previous post.you asked about volumes not volunteers. We currently have 22,250 fiction and non-fiction hard back books, 1024 paper back books, and approx. 1400 young adult and childrens volumes. Sorry for the mix up.

Happy Librarian

We also have 3 new computers when the expansion is done we will be adding a 4th that does not have internet access but will be loaded with education preshool programs for the younger kids that parents don't want on the internet but want them to know how to use the computer. We have wirleless internet so you can bring your laptop and use our high speed internet. We have shut in delivery service for those in town that can't make it to the Library.

W. Gray

I am no expert, but I would think 25,000 volumes is pretty darn good for a town of Moline's size.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk