Update on Fred

Started by Jo McDonald, November 10, 2008, 02:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts and kind words.  Fred had a GOOD day today.  He looks forward to the therapy - two young therapist, and he was a good scholar today.  They come in twice a day for walking - leg lifts - walking in place, twisting and turning the ankles, and raising up on his toes and this afternoon they added learning to lay down in bed and turning to the side with his arms crossed over his "heart pillow"...then rolling to the side and getting his legs over the side of the bed and sitting up.  No use of the arms at all.  He passed with flying colors.  He can rock back and forth three times, and rise up out of the chair  -- again with his arms crossed over his heart pillow.  He is off all IV lines except the drain tube in his chest, and hopefully that will come out tomorrow. 
He is getting excellent care, and is tolerant of the food.  Looks good to me, but heck - all food looks good to me  hahahahaha
  He is going to the bathroom, and that is especially good news.
  So -- stay tuned folks, each day gets better.
Nite all.....
Jo
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Teresa

Mama...... you sounded so tired on the phone tonight. I am saying this on a public forum... ( so it doesn't sound like nagging. :D)

Please take some time to just chil and get as much rest right now as you can
l.. I know you try..but you are just starting on the "caretaker..nurse" duty..and when Daddy gets home.. your job really kicks in.

I Love you Mama  :-*

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Jo McDonald

Thank you, Tressy, I appreciate you and your sister and your love and concern...I am fine, really!

Fred had a good day today, he was asleep when I got there this morning, and after a while he awoke and I helped him get his shaving done and just as he finished "prettying up" the physicial therapist came in and he was ready for his walk.  He walked a looonnng way and when we ( I went along to carry the container that collects the drainage from his chest) returned he had company.  A couple of our friends from the park was there and he really enjoyed their visit.  The surgeon that is an assistant of the one that preformed the actual surgery came in and was really encouraged about Fred's progress.  Our friends left and the hospital Chaplain came in and we had prayer, and we both appreciated that, then it was time for lunch -- more therapy - another walk, then he was treated to a sponge bath..I grabbed my paper and headed to the lounge -- came back and he was taking a nap. But it was a good kind of tired.  The therapist told him that tomorrow they were going to start him walking up and down stairs.  His heart rate, BP and oxygen level are great.
He probably won't get to come home until the week end -- as the drain tube is still in the chest cavity. 
Each day is a blessing and we are eager to get him home, and I pray that I will give him the needed care that he will require and that soon he will be "hot footing it around the park". 
  Will post again tomorrow evening.  Thank you all for the telephone calls and for your concern.
Jo

Jo McDonald

Thursday 4:05 PM  I just returned home from Corpus -- I am smiling from one side of my face to the other.  Fred will be released either tomorrow or the next day --- and I do think it will be tomorrow. The Dr. removed the drain tube from his chest this morning, and sewed the hole shut and said that Fred was doing GREAT.  He took long walks today and went up and down stairs -- with no help, and his arms at his side.  YIPPPEEEE !!!   He can walk three times farther today than he could the day before his surgery.  We are so blessed.
Jo and Fred

frawin

Jo and Fred, what great news. We knew Fred would do it and with you for a Nurse what could be better. Myrna and I will continue to keep both of you in our thoughts and prayers. Tell Fred to do his therapy.

Diane Amberg

Great news! See what a good tuneup can do? He's ready for another 100,000 miles. Big hugs for you both.

Jo McDonald

Fred was released from the hospital today -- we were told this morning and after all the dos and don'ts and paper work we arrived here at 8:28 PM.
He is SO HAPPY to be home and I am so happy to have him here.  He wanted a fresh grapefruit so I fixed him one and now he is in bed fast asleep.  He has not been resting well at all, but he smiled and sighed great big when he laid his head on his pillow.
  Thank you all for your concerns and prayers.  They are very much appreciated.  NOW -- we have to make sure he follows all the instructions and he will be good to go.
  I am going to join him   'Nite all.  Blessing to you.
Jo

LShortt

It's wonderful that he is home and doing well!  We all know in more ways than one he is in good hands and has you to keep him in line (ha)...now Jo, who is gonna keep an eye on you?   Both of you, take care!

Jo McDonald

Thanks, Linda, for your good thought, all except "someone keeping an eye on me" --- I don't think I'm going to get much of a chance to  "get out of line" ---but ~~~~ you know me well, if there is a chance I may go for itl  lol lol lol
He really is doing well, and each day sees a little more improvement, so he's getting there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk