Cow, beef and pig tax

Started by srkruzich, November 20, 2008, 01:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Cow tax proposal would threaten agriculture viability

"With the economy in bad shape and the possibility of a deep recession looming, the Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to levy new taxes—on cows and pigs," American Farm Bureau Federation Director of Regulatory Relations Rick Krause told Wyoming Farm Bureau members at their annual meeting.  Krause spoke in Sheridan on Nov. 7.

"This is no laughing matter," Krause said.  "The cow tax and the pig tax are parts of a larger scheme by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act."

"Under the proposal, if a state charged the "presumptive minimum rate" from the EPA, the cow tax would be $175 per dairy cow, $87.50 per head for beef cattle and a little more than $20 per pig," Krause explained.

http://www.wyfb.org/
http://www.wyfb.org/NewsFeeds.aspx?file=Links/NWS281b9276fe1f.htm&ID=530&from=front

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

bfrankjack

Proverbs 14:23
All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Maude

If they apply taxes like that to the people we depend on to feed us, they will go broke so fast the EPA wil wonder what has happened. Just like the goverment to find a way to get more money from a turnip. I really feel sorry for the ranchers trying to make a living in this day and age.
Maude

srkruzich

Quote from: Maude on November 20, 2008, 06:05:50 PM
If they apply taxes like that to the people we depend on to feed us, they will go broke so fast the EPA wil wonder what has happened. Just like the goverment to find a way to get more money from a turnip. I really feel sorry for the ranchers trying to make a living in this day and age.
Maude

The good thing is NAIS was defeated this  year so they have no clue as to who is growing what.  IF they manage to get NAIS to pass then were screwed.

bfrankjack

Real quick - I just mentioned this at work earlier today and here are a couple of the 1st reponses I got!

So what is the government going to do pay themselves for all the Buffalo, Elk and other wildlife in the national parks?  They are larger animals than Cows & Pigs!

How about Zoos?

Funny the first thoughts that come to peoples minds!!!

Tobina+1

Quote from: srkruzich on November 20, 2008, 06:35:50 PM
The good thing is NAIS was defeated this  year so they have no clue as to who is growing what.  IF they manage to get NAIS to pass then were screwed.

NAIS was not defeated this year.  It was deemed to be more appropriate as a voluntary program.  NAIS is for animal disease tracking, and the data is not made public or even made available to the government, unless a disease outbreak occurs.
FACT:  Our company had the KS Dept of Ag call us up and tell us there was a bull out in a county that had an EID tag.  The sheriff's office called them and wanted to find out who the owner was so they could let them know who the bull belonged to.  We could not/would not/ did not give out that information.  We told them we could contact the owner directly and let them know to contact the sheriff, but that we would not give them the owner's name. 
I do not want to debate NAIS on here; we've already been through that can of worms on the Politics section.

EPA is too concerned with the minor stuff.  I think this tax probably applied to large feedlots and pig farms, but once they tax the crap out of that sector, who knows when they'll move on to the rest of us.  And people complain about why their food prices are going up.  Gasoline prices be damned... it's the tax and fees and everything on the little guy!

bfrankjack

more info on tax

11/14/2008Contact: Ken Hamilton, Executive Vice President, 307-721-7712, khamilton@wyfb.org

Cow tax proposal would threaten agriculture viability

"With the economy in bad shape and the possibility of a deep recession looming, the Environmental Protection Agency is proposing to levy new taxes—on cows and pigs," American Farm Bureau Federation Director of Regulatory Relations Rick Krause told Wyoming Farm Bureau members at their annual meeting. Krause spoke in Sheridan on Nov. 7.

"This is no laughing matter," Krause said. "The cow tax and the pig tax are parts of a larger scheme by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to regulate greenhouse gases under the Clean Air Act."

"Under the proposal, if a state charged the "presumptive minimum rate" from the EPA, the cow tax would be $175 per dairy cow, $87.50 per head for beef cattle and a little more than $20 per pig," Krause explained.

Krause explained that the U.S. Department of Agriculture says that a producer with more than 25 dairy cows, 50 beef cattle or 200 hogs would emit more than 100 tons of carbon and be subject to the permitting requirements. "These thresholds would impact 99 percent of dairy producers, over 90 percent of beef producers and 95 percent of hog producers in the United States," Krause stated.

According to Krause, the EPA has issued an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in preparation to regulate automobile greenhouse gas emissions under the Clean Air Act (CAA). "The regulation of automobile emissions automatically initiates other provisions of the CAA," Krause explained. "One of those provisions requires permits from anyone who emits more than 100 tons of a regulated pollutant per year and there are millions of sources that emit more than 100 tons of carbon."

The Title V permits, that are essentially a cow and pig tax, are supposed to contain provisions designed to reduce or eliminate the emissions of the regulated pollutant. "Cows and pigs methane emissions come from natural and biological processes," Krause stated.

"The economic costs to producers from the cow and pig tax would be great and could cause the cost of beef, pork and dairy prices to rise," Krause continued. "The cow and pig tax would impose severe penalties on livestock producers in the United States without effectively reducing greenhouse gas levels in the atmosphere."

The comment deadline for the cow and pig tax is Nov. 28. Visit www.wyfb.org to find the link for information.

In other national issues, Krause addressed endangered species issues, including the wolf.

"I remember back in 1993 we were talking about how they will continue to change the numbers of wolves required," Krause said. "Unfortunately, our assumption was accurate and even though there are five times more packs than needed for recovery, it has come down to a federal judge in Montana."

"They are arguing there is no genetic exchange," He said. "Well, the whole reason in the first place they were introduced is because they could not get here on their own. How are you going to have genetic interchange?"

"So what are we going to expect from the Endangered Species Act in the next four years?" Krause asked. "While only time will tell, we can expect no amendments to the ESA as those who are opposed to common sense management will work to keep it as is."

The Wyoming Farm Bureau Federation is the state's largest general agriculture organization. Members work together from the grassroots to develop agricultural policy, programs and services to enhance the rural lifestyle of Wyoming.

srkruzich

Quote from: Tobina on November 21, 2008, 11:13:31 AM

NAIS was not defeated this year.  It was deemed to be more appropriate as a voluntary program.  NAIS is for animal disease tracking, and the data is not made public or even made available to the government, unless a disease outbreak occurs.
FACT:  Our company had the KS Dept of Ag call us up and tell us there was a bull out in a county that had an EID tag.  The sheriff's office called them and wanted to find out who the owner was so they could let them know who the bull belonged to.  We could not/would not/ did not give out that information.  We told them we could contact the owner directly and let them know to contact the sheriff, but that we would not give them the owner's name. 
I do not want to debate NAIS on here; we've already been through that can of worms on the Politics section.

EPA is too concerned with the minor stuff.  I think this tax probably applied to large feedlots and pig farms, but once they tax the crap out of that sector, who knows when they'll move on to the rest of us.  And people complain about why their food prices are going up.  Gasoline prices be damned... it's the tax and fees and everything on the little guy!

Uhhhhh i must disagree, it was court ordered that they stop.  I remember when the folks won the lawsuit against NAIS
Heres the article on it
Court Decision Suspends USDA's Efforts to Establish New Privacy Act System of Records for NAIS

Billings, Mont. (June 12, 2008) – R-CALF USA was pleased to learn that on June 4, 2008, the U.S. District Court – District of Columbia forced the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) to suspend indefinitely its plan to establish a new Privacy Act system of records titled "National Animal Identification System (NAIS)." In April, USDA proposed to establish the NAIS system of records, which was to become effective June 9, 2008, and had published a notice soliciting public comments. R-CALF USA and other organizations submitted comments with the agency in opposition to USDA's plan. The court-ordered suspension was a result of the Mary-Louise Zanoni v. United States Department of Agriculture case. The suspension was published in Tuesday's Federal Register.

In its comments to USDA, R-CALF USA states: "R-CALF maintains that USDA has misrepresented the purpose, scope and nature of its proposed new system of records, and that USDA's actual purposes of the proposed new system was simply to develop a national registry of real, personal and private property."

http://nonais.org/2008/06/17/court-reject-usda-nais-privacy/

I know i fought long and hard back in Georgia and here too when I moved here to stop NAIS from interfering in my life.  The government has no business in my life, my animals and anything else i wish to do.  And if the Aphis decide to resurrect NAIS, i'll fight it as hard as i have in the past few years.

Lookatmeknow!!

Quote from: Tobina on November 21, 2008, 11:13:31 AM

I think that 4-H does a little bit of this.  They place a tag that can be scanned during final weigh in.  Personally if it will stop the cattle market from getting a bad name, that is fine with me.  

As for the taxing the cattle and hogs, I don't see that happening.  Because they collect taxes on the meat that they sell already.  That would be double taxation.  I am not that up on this stuff, and personally need to be, but it sounds like they are just throwing things around to get the cattle market in a roar.  Of course, towards the end of every year and the first of the year, the market is always such a mess.  I think that is because they know that we sell our feeder calves after the first of the year!!! >:(
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

Quote from: angtown3 on November 21, 2008, 01:53:55 PM
I think that 4-H does a little bit of this.  They place a tag that can be scanned during final weigh in.  Personally if it will stop the cattle market from getting a bad name, that is fine with me.  
Nais has never been about anything other than government control of the food supply.  IF they can control it they can control the population.  How many hamburgers or steaks ahve you gotten in the last 10 years that had mad cow?  Hmmm None huh. that quite frankly tells me NAIS is not needed.
What NAIS doesn't tell you is this, if it becomes mandatory, and if lets say your cattle get anthrax or hoof in mouth, they will come in and destroy not only your heard, place your place under quarantine but they will also quarantine and destroy everyone elses herds for a 3 -5 mile radius.

The ag department has already been around to farms designating patstures ad disposal sites in the event of such a outbreak. So if your like me and have a goat herd, and the guy across the street from me has goats and they get CL disease, the governmentwould come in and do what they do best. Their solution to disease control is scorched earth policy.  kill everything.
The last thing and final insult to it would be that they would lock down your place until you foot the bill for them to clean the affected area. so essentially you will be bankrupt before its over and most likely lose everything in the process.

QuoteAs for the taxing the cattle and hogs, I don't see that happening.  Because they collect taxes on the meat that they sell already.  That would be double taxation.
Uhmm well not technially.  They tax it anyway at every point of sale.  You buy them pay tax. you raise them and sell them you pay tax.  the person who buys them pays tax and when they sell they pay tax.  and on and on it goes. 

QuoteI am not that up on this stuff, and personally need to be, but it sounds like they are just throwing things around to get the cattle market in a roar.  Of course, towards the end of every year and the first of the year, the market is always such a mess.  I think that is because they know that we sell our feeder calves after the first of the year!!! >:(
Maybe but ignoring it is the fastest way they get taxes on things that we never thought would happen.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk