ADAMSON, Gladys "Iown" (Blackburn) - b. September 9, 1948 - d. November 14, 2008

Started by patyrn, November 17, 2008, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

Gladys Iown (Blackburn) Adamson, 60, of Moline Kansas, passed away Friday, November 14, 2008 at Wesley Medical Center in Wichita, Kansas after a 5-year battle with cancer.  Iown was born September 9, 1948 in Independence, Kansas, the daughter of Roland Mitchner and Gladys Irene (Jones) Blackburn.

Iown lived most of her life in Kansas and Oklahoma.  She went to school in Longton, Kansas and in 1971 graduated from Cosmetology School in Tahlequah, Oklahoma.  Iown was a teacher at Elk Valley High School and often drove the school bus for sports activities and other extracurricular school events.  In 1991 Iown received her Cosmetology Instructors' license, and the past few years she taught at the Independence Community College Cometology School in Independence, Kansas.

Iown was well-known in the community for volunteering her services to those in need.  She would often offer haircuts at no charge to anyone who needed it.  Iown was an active member in the sorority Gamma Pi, Eastern Star, and was a member of the Elk Falls Methodist Church.  She volunteered with many other organizations and enjoyed helping out in the community. 

On May 28, 1996, Iown married Robert F Adamson in Moline, Kansas.  He survives.  Other survivors include thee sons, Charley Latta and wife Ashley of Independence, Kansas, Robert Bennett and wife Shaila of Emporia, Kansas, and Danny Corle and wife Paula of Inola, Oklahoma; one daughter, Amy Gregory and husband Michael of Helena, Arkansas; her mother and stepfather, Gladys and Rowland Jones of Elk Falls, Kansas; one brother, Glen Blackburn of Longton, Kansas; thee sisters, Rowlinda Justus of Emporia, Kansas, Jane Wassam of Longton, Kansas, and Diane Morrison of Franklin, Kansas; and twelve grandchildren.  Iown was preceded in death by her father Roland and one son, Roland Wesley.

Cremation has been requested.  A memorial service will be held at 11:00 a.m. on Friday, November 21, 2008 at the Longton Methodist Church.  The family requests memorial contributions go to Elk Falls Methodist Church or the American Cancer Society and may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Zimmerman Funeral Home, P.O. Box 1233, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas  67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Bonnie M.

I am so sad!  I knew it was coming, but I've had such a warm spot in my heart for Iown for so many years, that I mourn her death, along with her family.  May God be with them all.
Bonnie

sixdogsmom

Edie

Judy Harder

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk