Fires

Started by greatguns, November 15, 2008, 10:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

We just have been so short on rainfall that everything is just bone dry.  Just a tiny spark can start a fire, and when the winds start blowing, a fire spreads like the "wildfires" we hear about!  The fire departments out here are wonderful, (all fire departments are wonderful!)  But, when these Santa Ana conditions prevail, the various departments are placed throughout the county, so that if there is any smoke spotted anywhere, they're right on it.  It was amazing yesterday, to see the DC 10 bombers (I might not be saying that right!) drop 12,000 gallon of fire retardant/water on the fire at Corona.  Those planes are headquartered at an air base maybe 40 miles from that area.  There are various helicopters and planes that drop water and the fire retardants on the fires.  They have to fly into the smoke and really can't see anything for awhile, they certainly do have lots of "nerve!"

Frank & Myrna, I hope your daughter and her family don't have to be outside breathing the smoke filled air.  Since the winds are blowing the smoke in another direction, we're pretty amazed that, at least at this point in time, we don't have any smoke in the air.
Bonnie

frawin

Thanks, Bonnie.  Our daughter is okay, but said she would be staying inside all day yesterday.  She is hoping that by Tuesday or Wednesday the fires will be out and the winds will be down and perhaps a Marina Layer (is that the right word?) will be moving in.  She said it would be tough driving to work on Monday and perhaps Tuesday.
Myrna

dnalexander

To my fellow Californian forum members. I hope the fires are not near you. It is just a part of what we endure here in California. This great weather has its' down side. Hopefully the marine layer will come inland and help the firefighters Here in the West our firefighters are truly our heros this time of the year. In a couple months we will be cursing all the rain that will inevitably wash us into the sea. ???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk