Polk Daniels Lake

Started by pepelect, November 23, 2008, 03:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

I just finished cleaning up the damage at the south shelter house.  The electrical system is totally restored and ready for the future vandals to tear up stuff with the light on so as not to hurt their little selves.....

That is just why I was out at the lake.   The real reason for the mention is that I walked around the entire property cleaning up and just checking out the area.   There is a lot of old layed up stone walks and stairs along the west side of the dam I had not walked down since I was a  teen looking for something to beat the crap out of.....Did you know there was a two holer on the side of the hill just below the parking area?  All that remains is the two holes and the cool walkway.   It would be too bad if the little vandals that damaged the area were to accidentally clean up the overgrowth and fix the walks.     The north part of the lake has the better of the two shelters.  The swingset still is intact.  The campsites are great.   And I love all the trash in the fire pits with the big signs that say "No Trash in Fire Pit."   

IF you want a cool nature walk with a great water feature go across the dam to the spillway.   It is all cut stone desending levels.  The steps are different levels of the spillway and the coolest part is that the water built up behind the walls are escaping through holes is the wall.  I looks like little fountains.  Or I picture a little boy with chewing gum trying to stop the leak.   It really is worth the walk across the dam to see. 

I would love to see more events out at the lake.  Maybe we could put in RV hookups so that people could camp.   The area could be used 365 days a year as all the roads are in pretty good shape. 

Ole Granny

I have very warm memories of Polk Daniels Lake.  Many hours were filled with picnics, fishing and just plain fun. I'm sure I walked the entire area.  What a shame some people cannot appreciate the past and present efforts of a few.  Thank you for your update and your care.  We were taught to leave the area in better shape than we found it.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Jo McDonald

Polk Daniels Lake is a wonderful lake to camp, fish and just kick back and enjoy the beauty of the place.  Our RV's were all self contained and we have spent many many week-ends there.
Years ago, Fred and I and Donald and Rosalie went to Wyoming and back packed into the Bridger National Forest.  There was a sign when we entered that read " No motorized vechiles allowed - only horse back or walking.  Leave only your tracks and take only your memories"   I wish everyone would respect that rule and not try to destroy everything that does not belong to them.
  They must be miserable in their lives to not respect anything or anyone.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

L Hendricks

PEP - Too interesting. Doug & I and the girls were out at the lake this evening and we both said - we (the County & City) are missing out on an untapped resource.  Polk Daniels Lake is very beautiful and the shelter houses and rock walks down to the lake are awesome.  What would it cost to put a few RV hookups up there - atleast electricity.  We noticed too that the RV hookups at Moline Park are almost always busy.  Plus what would be wrong with expanding the park.  The Youth Development Action Team of Elk Konnected surveyed the kids at the schools in Elk County and it came up often - to improve the lake areas... sand volleyball, beach area, etc... Could there be a way to change the permit system... I know the County has a parks and recreation fund that is funded from the sale of alcohol in the county - what if the county would pay for part of it and the city the other part...

littlelamb

I think RV hookups and such are a good idea we wanted to have our family reunion out their but their was no place to hook up rvs and campers and i dont think moline is having their fising tournament any more that would be a good money maker idea

debid

I would love to see at least electric RV hook-ups at the lake.    It doesn't have to be anything fancy.  Check out Madison City lake sometime.   Madison just has some poles with 4 electrical boxes each.   We have camped at Madison lake many times.  The city of Madison charges $6.00 a day for residents and $8.00 a day for non residents to camp and use hook-ups.    It would probably be an easy job for Patrick to do.   I would love to be part of a fund raiser for a project like this!

debid

I seem to be a thread killer :-[  I wanted to bump this thread back up and get some more feedback on it. 

indygal

debid, I also would support this project. I'm not much into camping, but I do see the potential for bringing in some much needed funds. Part of the user fee could help pay for installing the hook-ups and the rest for other county projects (maybe to pave the lake to the road?). It's a great lake on beautiful grounds, and really should be enjoyed by more than a handful of people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk