Veterans Day

Started by Teresa, November 10, 2008, 09:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

June 9, 1945.  My brother, Rex Truitt, was killed in action on Okinawa.  He was 20 years old.

We're flying our flag, in memory.
Bonnie

Bonnie M.

"then there was Dude who was just like their brother."

Dewey Easum?  He was in Cathy's class in High School, and a good friend.  Can you bring me up to date regarding him?
Bonnie

Clubine Ranch

Article in the Wichita Eagle Virtural Cemetery honors Veterans gave this website www.flickr.com/photos/civilwar_veterans_tombstones/sets/
You can view tombstones of veterans from all over Kansas and Missouri, they are listed by Cemeteries and as your mouse moves over the stone the name will show up. Really kind of neat if you are looking for someone and not sure which cemetery the veteran would be laid to rest in.

Teresa

That is a wonderful site Barbara... thanks for finding it.  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

ddurbin

I read that article also, and checked out his website.  Mr. Jackson has a very ambitious project going---he'd like to include on that site every Civil War veteran who is buried in Kansas.  He could certainly use any help any of us can provide.  For instance, just looking quickly at the 17 individuals he has listed in the Moline Cemetery, I noticed that Major J. F. Chapman, one of the original founders of Moline, who also laid out the town in not included.  Chapman not only served in the Civil War; he also took part in the Mexican War.
Mr. Jackson also will be hard-pressed to visit every cemetery, especially some of the smaller, more obscure ones.  He lists the Moline cemetery, but does not mention Mt. Olivet or Ames Chapel. I didn't find a set for the Longton Cemetery either, and my G-grandfather Frederick Hainlin is buried there.  There are other Elk County cemeteries not listed either.  So, if you know of some Civil War veteran buried in this area that has been overlooked, please pass that information along to him.  His e-mail is jajacks62@yahoo.com.  Let's all see what we can do to help out with this wonderful project.   

Dale Smith

As a veteran, I'd like to ask y'all to watch this video.  It takes a while to load, but it's well worth the time.

http://www.greatdanepromilitary.com/Battle%20Hymn/index.htm

cheyronni

Bonnie yes that is the Dude that I was talking about. He is doing good last time I knew living in Arkansas with his wife and their son.

Bonnie M.

Dale, the Video you posted was really great!  Thanks for posting it.
Bonnie

Diane Amberg

redcliffsw

The website for Civil War veterans buried in Kansas appears to be a huge ongoing project.  Any known graves of Civil War veterans ought to be submitted to the website to help further the memory of those men.

As for the "Battle Hymn of the Republic", how about a little equal time.  It wasn't the yankees who wrote the thing - it was Julia Ward Howe, an admirer of John Brown - the terrorist.  If you like history and the Civil War, here's a webpage entitled "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" What It Really Means:

http://www.plpow.com/Atrocities_BattleHymn.htm

Probably most around here have never read anything like this and some are going to connect for a further understanding. 

There's a couple of preachers who have written about the "Battle Hymn".  I'll find their info later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk