Longton Historical Society

Started by BurntHills, November 14, 2008, 11:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BurntHills

How is Ammie doing with the Hist Soc in Longton? 

... But I would like to help somehow.  I was ground floor in IL, from climbing over boxes of ancient books & plats along the hallways and a 2room office full of boxes of these older ladies' DAR research precariously and sometimes disastrously stacked higher than my head ....to a whole new building we donated-drywalled and painted and carpeted and shelved, and we filled those shelves and put in banquet tables and chairs and well, I am so proud looking back:  I was part of a very good thing for POSTERITY.  === and I was NOT born there, raised there, or went to school there.  I just bought an old school and lived there and wanted my "forgotten"  little township to have it's own history recorded.

Longton library already has clippings saved from old dryrotted nwspaers, and these are a goldmine of info

for example: never drink lemonade from a galvanized tin bucket.  it almost killed people at a party at the Edwards' famliy picnic in Upola in the 1930s.

I wish I could wave a magic wand for Ammie here,  I just know there are a LOT of local women {and men!}  who would LOVE to have a museum and research room in Longton.   I know I would, starting with a microfilm reader HERE and our own rolls of Longton newspapers on microfilm!!     Ammie has amassed a wonderful lot of TRUE museum piece antiques historically rich to this area.

littlelamb

burnt hills: its coming slowly but surly we have the insulation in and we are going to start on the electricity soon mom works hard on it. their is alot to be done but we just keep pluging away and when its done itll be grate. ive been posting our fundraisers and we always take donations and mew memberships.

BurntHills

little lamb,    perhaps this Winter some of us could come over and help in the Hist Soc building??       is there going to be drywall  ''soon''  ?   

when it is Time,  I pledge I will donate 5 gals wall paint and 5 qts coordinating glaze, etc.   and I will hire some youth for 10hrs as man power.  

if you and Ammie would like to see a super wall treatment at my home, that I am particularly fond of as "HISTORICAL looking", AND EASY TO DO,  maybe we could have a group of gals and a new wall party?   on even one section...........  once Ammie gets it laid out where what will be.

BIG HUGE Q=== did you get the Front Desk from the Longton Hotel before they razed it ? 

Teresa

I like the picture Burnt Hills.  :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

littlelamb

burnt hills: im not sure but mom is at the library from 1:00pm to 5:00pm you could call ask her she would love the help

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk