Miller-Burdett

Started by genealogynut, August 16, 2006, 03:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Sunday, August 25, 1968
Independence Daily Reporter

Miss Vicki Lou Miller became Mrs. Stanley Eugene Burdett in a double ring wedding ceremony solemnized on August 16 at 8:00.  The Rev. Arthur Frary heard the promises in the First United Methodist Church.

Mrs. Darrell Vinette served as organist for the service and accompanied the vocalist, Stephen Miller.

The parents of the bridal couple are Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Miller of Howard and Mr. and Mrs. Sam E. Burdette of Grenola.

Given in marriage by her father, the bride wore a gown of candlelight moss crepe, fashioned in A-line style over taffeta.  The bodice of Alencon lace was complemented with a jewel neckline and wrist length sleeves.  The chapel train fell from an empire waist.  Her veil of English silk illusion was secured by a headpiece of beige rosepoint lace embroidery with sequins and seed pearls. She carried an arrangement of daisies centered with green orchids.  Her only jewelry was an heirloom gold bracelet and pearl earrings belonging to her maternal grandmother.

Miss Lee of Overbrook served as maid of honor.  Bridesmaids werre the Missus Marilyn Miller, Karen Ingle, Susanne VanSickle and Sue Ervin, all of Howard.

The honor attendants were frocked in A-line gowns of mint green moss crepe with pillbox hats securing their veils of illusion. Miss Lee carried a cascade bouquet of yellow roses and white daisies and the other attendants carried a single yellow rose.

Dawn Burdette and Debbie Allison, taperlighters, wore yellow gowns similar to those of the other attendants, and the flower girl, Lorie Koftan, was dressed in a formal gown of green moss crepe.

Bill Ames of Moline was best man and ushers were Larry Ed Morgan of Grenola and Bill Watson of Atlanta.  Bill McKinley of Ft. Worth, Texas carried the wedding rings and John McKinley, also of Ft. Worth was train bearer.

Assisting with the reception were Mrs. Edith Barkley, Mrs. F.W. Smith, Mrs. Fred Boyce, Miss Rosemary Gray, Miss Kathy Marion, Miss Sally Martin, Miss Karen Hebb, Mrs. Glen D. Miller, Mrs. Willis H. Miller, Mrs. George G. Gorman and Miss Patricia Allen.

For their wedding trip, the newlyweds visited Hemis Fair in San Antonio, and Old Mexico.  They plan to live in Pittsburg.

Mrs. Burdette is a graduate of Howard High School.  Her husband graduated from Grenola High School and attended Cowley County Junior College.  He will be a junior at Kansas State College of Pittsburg this fall.

emptynest

Lois Morgan,

It is so neat to read all these newspaper articles from the past.  I recognize so many of the names from when I was just a young child.  It makes one remember people and events that had become a distant memory.  Thank you for this blast from the past.  I can't wait to read the next one.  Thank you again.

genealogynut

Thank you for the encouraging feedback. :) :)  Now I know there is at least one person interested in this sort of thing.  Also printed with the article was Vicki's wedding picture, but I was unable to get a good copy of it.  It had too many lines thru it.  :(   I would hate to think of what it would look like by the time I tried t post it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk