What Can I Say..... College Stinks Today!

Started by Warph, October 28, 2008, 01:25:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Oscar Wilde once described a cynic as a man who knew the price of everything and the value of nothing.  It makes me wonder, were he alive today, if he would characterize us as a country of cynics or merely dismiss us as a nation of fools.

I mean, how is it that Americans who lived hard scrabble lives 150 years ago could read, write, do math problems and quote at length from Shakespeare and the Bible, while today, in spite of "Sesame Street," pre-school, Operation Head Start, computers and mind-numbing hours of homework, millions of youngsters entering college can do none of those things?

Now I don't want to piss anyone off about what I have to say about College today.  I have put my two children through four years of under-graduate school and stressed to them that IF they wanted to go on to graduate school like Pops, they had better buckle down their first four years and earn a top-notch scholarship.  They did and both saved me a bunch of greenback dollar bills.

Now, my point is that it seems obvious to me that our education system, which costs us billions and billions of dollars, is a wreck.  While not all of it is the fault of the teachers unions, affirmative action, bi-lingual education and the emphasis on promoting self-esteem in the youngsters, a lot of it is.  But if there was any one thing I would change tomorrow, it's the loony notion that everyone should get a college degree.

It's as if the nation's water supply had been tampered with by one of those fairy tale witches who was always up to no good, poisoning apples, putting people into comas, locking them up in towers and placing curses on newborn babies.  One day, it seems, everybody in America woke up convinced that he or she was the parent of a young scholar.  No matter what sacrifice they had to make for their budding Albert Einstein or Marie Curie, they would see to it that their young sprouts made it safely through the groves of academe.

As a result, the biggest con game, the slickest racket, in America is the so-called college education. 

Now, please understand, I have nothing against education.  My only objection is the way the whole thing works.  Why, for instance, do you think students are required to devote four years to undergraduate studies?   It's simply because that's how the colleges make their money.  It's like the movies.  They don't make their profit selling you a ticket, they clean up at the concession stand selling you popcorn and over-priced candy and sodas.

What they claim is that they want to turn out well-rounded individuals, but that is such an obvious lie, it's a wonder that anyone believes it for a second.  Hardly anyone in America has been all that well-rounded since Thomas Jefferson passed away.  Aside from learning how to drink themselves into a stupor and smooth-talk members of the opposite sex, those first four years and in many cases it takes five years, have no other purpose than to drain off thousands of dollars from mom and dad in order to pay exorbitant salaries to administrators, professors and a gaggle of athletic coaches. 

There is a solution to this madness, but it would require that we quit pretending that anyone should be devoting four years to listening to lazy left-wing professors nattering on about 20th century comic books, 19th century French poetry, the movies of Sam Fuller, the scribbling of Noam Chomsky or the sex life of Henry Miller.

What I propose is that they turn colleges and universities into libraries, zoos, hospitals or, for all I care, parking lots or low income housing.  And in place of these ivory towers, I would institute an assortment of trade schools.  But not just those traditional trade schools where high school graduates learn to be mechanics, plumbers and carpenters, but trade schools for lawyers, doctors, accountants and architects.

Frankly, I don't care if my doctor has ever read Baudelaire or my lawyer can tell a Manet from a Monet, not that they could even if they'd wasted four years of their lives as undergrads.  Thanks to computers and the local library, anybody can bone up on just about anything he's interested in, and it doesn't cost upwards of $100,000 to do it.

My system is far more efficient than what we have today, plus parents wouldn't have to mortgage their homes just so Johnny and Susie can attend a school that has ivy on its walls or a Bowl-bound football team.

In time, I believe, we could learn to accept that what we now refer to as a college education is just a pastime, except, of course, when it's really just a joke.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Catwoman

There's so much I'd love to write on this thread...but I've got a job to do...it's called educating children, so that they are ready to go to the University and take their place among intelligent men and women, armed with the same liberal arts education as everyone else, so that they can hold an intelligent conversation with whomever they choose, regardless of social standing.  If they should choose to go to a Vo-Tech instead of a University, then they will be armed with the intelligence to make that choice wisely, with much forethought and consideration.  At least they will have the right to make that choice...in the world you are suggesting, they would have few choices.  Isn't that what an education is supposed to give?  The right to make informed choices?   'Nuf said.

DanCookson

Warph,

As I read your post I found myself nodding my head.  I thought at least 2.5 of my years in college was an absolute waste of my time.  I went to college to study business and get a business degree, and I did.  But in that process I was made to take history, chemistry, biology, life science, psychology, sociology, and last but certainly not least Art Exploration.  Now, I am going to go on a fairly lengthy rant here, so spare me your ear and some time.

Art Exploration---Caution---If you are an art major or an art teacher quit reading this post right now.  What I am going to say is going to be offensive to you.

I had the privilege of taking this class my first semester of my senior year in college.  Some of you are wondering "why wait till then to take this meaningless level 100 class?"   I don't have the answer to that question, but I will give it some thought.  Maybe if I would have taken it as a Freshman, the outcome would have been different, well part of it would have I am certain....Anyone who has never had the privilege of taking Art Exploration let me give you a short synopsis.  First you have a teacher who is VERY excited about Art and feels it is a necessity for every single person in the class to achieve the same knowledge and love for Art as he had.  Then, mix in about 30 students, out of which 2 really want to be in the class.  Now you have the overview of the first day.  I am going to skip the discussion about the semester, only to say the teacher was very zealous and tests and quizes would be an overhead projector showing paintings and sculptures from the last 900 years and the students would then get to name the artist, time of painting, method used, and what the artist was thinking at the time.  I think you get the hint how this went over.  

Now, end of semester.  Out of 30, 18 of us hung it out till the end.  12 just quit.  I flunked.  I almost puked.  I had to come home over Christmas break and tell my parents that I flunked a class.  I spent the whole Christmas break trying to understand how I could excel in 700 level calculus and advanced economic theory classes, yet flunk this class.....Not my best moments.

Now, start of last semester in college!!!  Only problem is I have this F on my transcript and have to take Art Exploration again to get it off my transcript.  I develop a new attitude and hope for this attempt.  In my mind, I knew there would be a new teacher and things would go great this time....Hell, I might even get to finger paint a little or build some ceramics.  First day and I am brimming with a new attitude.....Unfortunately that was all that was new, as I found the same teacher with the same slide projector.  Then I think, hell, it can't be that tough, I've already seen all the slides.....New slides, flunked again.....

This time I did puke, as I get to spend summer break with this Albatross hanging over me, plus have to tell my parents I flunked a freshman level art class, AGAIN.  I know this is getting long, but one more paragraph...

Next semester....I now am taking enough credit hours to graduate with not only one bachelors degree, but 2.  That is the only good thing about the story.  I show up for my third attempt at Art Exploration.  I have much more support and determination this go around.  My dad has encouraged me with some very strong language and promises of torture if a passing grade is not achieved.  My adviser has told me to "pass or you're on your own."  I am married now and my new bride is encouraging me by telling me she knows all sorts of ways to cheat and is considering going to the class with me just to get it done.

I really bore down that semester though and tried my hardest.  I almost passed that time.  It was so close.  I had no choice at this point.  I went to the teachers office and sat down we discussed futures and how he was ruining mine by his class.  I let him know that some people are "artsy" and some are not.  I being in the latter.  He begrudgingly agreed that 3 attempts at his class was a record and maybe his teaching methods were somewhat to blame.

We settled on a D and I finally got my diplomas!

I think that is the long way to say what you were getting at Warph!!

The End

Diane Amberg

Didn't you have an advisor back in high school to help you find a good college match? It sounds like you should have gone to a good business school and not a liberal arts college. If you had no interest in so many of the required subjects, what were you doing there? Advanced education is a must,  but college is not for everyone. UD was perfect for me. I majored in elem.education with a special interest in science and had a double minor in art and music. I liked many things, still do. I wasn't a smoker or a drinker, but loved a good party. Being in the marching band gave me a friendship base and kept me out of trouble. ( By the way, I bought my first mutual fund at 21. I never took a business course but my father taught me well.) I still think 100 level courses are just to prove we are all trainable! :laugh:

DanCookson

Diane---Can't get a bachelors degree at any University without completing a core curriculum as well as the courses required in your specialized degree field.  E.S.U. was and is considered an excellent business school as well as a school that is good for teachers.  My point was and still is that it is ridiculous to require a business major to take Art, just as it would be to make an Art major take Economics.  I was agreeing with Warph that the schedule is somewhat profit driven.

Diane Amberg

You are being kind....they are very profit driven! Here too.

Teresa

::) We didn't "threaten" him with bodily harm............
hahahahahahahaha  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Catwoman

Quote from: DanCookson on October 28, 2008, 08:23:20 AM
Warph,

As I read your post I found myself nodding my head.  I thought at least 2.5 of my years in college was an absolute waste of my time.  I went to college to study business and get a business degree, and I did.  But in that process I was made to take history, chemistry, biology, life science, psychology, sociology, and last but certainly not least Art Exploration.  Now, I am going to go on a fairly lengthy rant here, so spare me your ear and some time.

Art Exploration---Caution---If you are an art major or an art teacher quit reading this post right now.  What I am going to say is going to be offensive to you.

I had the privilege of taking this class my first semester of my senior year in college.  Some of you are wondering "why wait till then to take this meaningless level 100 class?"   I don't have the answer to that question, but I will give it some thought.  Maybe if I would have taken it as a Freshman, the outcome would have been different, well part of it would have I am certain....Anyone who has never had the privilege of taking Art Exploration let me give you a short synopsis.  First you have a teacher who is VERY excited about Art and feels it is a necessity for every single person in the class to achieve the same knowledge and love for Art as he had.  Then, mix in about 30 students, out of which 2 really want to be in the class.  Now you have the overview of the first day.  I am going to skip the discussion about the semester, only to say the teacher was very zealous and tests and quizes would be an overhead projector showing paintings and sculptures from the last 900 years and the students would then get to name the artist, time of painting, method used, and what the artist was thinking at the time.  I think you get the hint how this went over.  

Now, end of semester.  Out of 30, 18 of us hung it out till the end.  12 just quit.  I flunked.  I almost puked.  I had to come home over Christmas break and tell my parents that I flunked a class.  I spent the whole Christmas break trying to understand how I could excel in 700 level calculus and advanced economic theory classes, yet flunk this class.....Not my best moments.

Now, start of last semester in college!!!  Only problem is I have this F on my transcript and have to take Art Exploration again to get it off my transcript.  I develop a new attitude and hope for this attempt.  In my mind, I knew there would be a new teacher and things would go great this time....Hell, I might even get to finger paint a little or build some ceramics.  First day and I am brimming with a new attitude.....Unfortunately that was all that was new, as I found the same teacher with the same slide projector.  Then I think, hell, it can't be that tough, I've already seen all the slides.....New slides, flunked again.....

This time I did puke, as I get to spend summer break with this Albatross hanging over me, plus have to tell my parents I flunked a freshman level art class, AGAIN.  I know this is getting long, but one more paragraph...

Next semester....I now am taking enough credit hours to graduate with not only one bachelors degree, but 2.  That is the only good thing about the story.  I show up for my third attempt at Art Exploration.  I have much more support and determination this go around.  My dad has encouraged me with some very strong language and promises of torture if a passing grade is not achieved.  My adviser has told me to "pass or you're on your own."  I am married now and my new bride is encouraging me by telling me she knows all sorts of ways to cheat and is considering going to the class with me just to get it done.

I really bore down that semester though and tried my hardest.  I almost passed that time.  It was so close.  I had no choice at this point.  I went to the teachers office and sat down we discussed futures and how he was ruining mine by his class.  I let him know that some people are "artsy" and some are not.  I being in the latter.  He begrudgingly agreed that 3 attempts at his class was a record and maybe his teaching methods were somewhat to blame.

We settled on a D and I finally got my diplomas!

I think that is the long way to say what you were getting at Warph!!

The End
It could also be that you are off the charts left brained and have little right brain activity...I am the polar opposite...almost completely right brained, with just enough left brain activity to indicate that there is indeed brain wave activity going on.  It used to be that there were six intelligences that were taught...now, I believe the number has gone up to around eight, isn't it, Diane?  Everyone has an intelligence, whether it be centered in Nature, Science, Physical attributes, etc., matters not.  I applaud your effort in taking a course repeatedly that nearly was your demise...I took Remedial Algebra twice...flunked the first time, got a D in it the second time, took that grade and RAN.  Still can't figure an equation to save my soul.  However, I do know the basic four functions, so am able to get through life fairly well...no one has ever required me to know an algebraic equation as a pre-requisite to getting a job, so I've been safe (so far!). lol  Yes, there are some courses that you wonder why on earth you have to take them, at the time.  However, being forced to take those courses also forces you to be exposed to different influences, which might just accidently show you that you had interests that you didn't know you had...which is a necessary process to getting flighty freshman and sophomore students to finally decide what their ultimately going to be majoring in.  It's not just a money maker, guys...there's a whole psychological process behind requiring these courses.

Diane Amberg

I'm back, sorry to be so long.  Yes Cat, the number of " intelligences" is up to 8 now. Learning styles is up to at least 4, since musical- rhythmic has been added to visual, auditory and kinesthetic.  It can get pretty complicated, since most of us are a custom combination.  I'm a great believer in education (for young people) in many areas, but eventually you have to settle in to who you are and specialize.  A great many of my friends changed majors or took jobs that had little to do with their courses.  But here, it is also true that education has become more of a business, with students as ''customers."  Dan and WARPH  must both be primarily high in '' logic'' intelligence, which would be expected in a math major. (not my strong area either). I'm sure all of us took courses that at the time made no sense at all. I didn't understand why I had to take Latin in high school either, but we just accepted that it was a bridge we had to cross.

Catwoman

This is not aimed at Diane...she already knows all of this:  I can tell you from experience (I worked in the offices that dealt with the undergraduates taking these courses) that part of the reason that these courses are required is that it is part of a weeding out process...those who are not suited to higher academia get weeded out and go on to other life paths better suited to their abilities and interests.  The settling in part comes during the third and fourth years of the undergraduate experience, with the post-graduate experience being the section where specialization happens.  It's rather akin to planting radishes...you plant far more seeds than you need...then, you thin the rows to allow select plants to continue to grow and expand.  Too bad taking pud courses isn't as taste tempting as a plump radishes! lol

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk