Persimmons

Started by Joanna, October 05, 2008, 10:55:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanna

Thanks for the recipes! I love the old ones that tell you things like "butter the size of a walnut"; you just know that recipe has to taste great!  I gathered up a bucket of persimmons & mushed them this morning, now I have 8 cups of pulp in the deep freeze.
I was going to wait for a freeze to gather them, but most have already fallen and I was afraid I wouldn't get any.  Janette told me that they never waited for a freeze, just waited for them to fall and be sure to get the soft orange ones that hadn't turned brown yet.  I don't know if it is this particular tree, or this part of the country, or a combination of reasons; but these are working well and the pulp tastes really good. I'm anxious to make some baked goods soon, maybe this weekend...

I did read on a website to use cloves sparingly, since they can overcome the persimmon flavor.  It was a good tip for me since I tend to put in extra spices in all my baked goods ~ okay, I go overboard in almost everything I do, so that's probably not a surprise.

Oh, and the seeds do have a spoon this year.  I checked 3 of them to be sure... I guess the weather at my house is going to be the same as that over by Teresa's...

Teresa

Rats..  >:(

and I thought we could scoot over to your place to BBQ and enjoy different weather this winter.  ;D
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Joanna

I made some persimmon cookies yesterday.  They are great, but I think I put too many chocolate chips in them ~ cause the chocolate prettymuch overpowers the persimmon taste.  I'll cut it down to 1 cup instead of 2 next time, or maybe leave them out since only about half the recipes called for them at all.  They are really good though.  I'm anxious to try some Persimmon cake with persimmon icing next, but it will be a while since we don't eat too many sweets & I don't want to waste it.  I'll try some Persimmon pudding soon too as a test run for Thanksgiving.  Oh!  I've got to stop talking about food for a while  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk