Just a Question!!

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, October 22, 2008, 07:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twirldoggy

please tell me what a good renter is like

frawin

Quote from: twirldoggy on October 22, 2008, 11:47:10 AM
please tell me what a good renter is like
A good renter is one that takes pride in the home and surrounding property where he/she lives. They take care of the property because they want to keep it looking good for their image and family. When Myrna and I were first married we rented properties  and we painted and papered the insides, I fertilized the yards, keep the shrubs trimmed, we were even more encouraged to do so by the owners, neighbors and friends. It didn't take us long to know that we didn't want to rent and keep up properties for others, we wanted to do it for us.
I think you have to screen your renters some and once you decide to rent to someone make it known to them that you want/ almost demand that they keep the property up both inside and out. Raise your deposit and be more specific on what the conditions are for the renter to get it back.
Do a walk through with the renters when you rent to them and both you and the renter agree on blemishes, problems, existing damages and document same, then when they move out it elliminates arguments on what was there when they rented and what damages they done while renting.

S-S

We were good renters too! I am a clean-freak so of course, the house was taken care of. It was a beautiful home, and it was Billy and I's first home together. We were proud of it. We kept the yard and property clean and mowed.

When we moved out, it was at the end of the month, even though our new house had been ready for weeks. We cleaned the house thoroughly and left it just as we found it. Except for a new shower curtain!

I think in a small town word of mouth may be the best way to screen possible renters. Look at the past properties they've been at. And be stern on your rules.

Angie, I know that you told the last renters you didn't want any animals in the house. And then I remember you telling me they had a dog and cats - of which you had learned later on. For that alone, I wouldn't return their deposit. And also the fact that they left before the 30 days was over.

Wilma

Angie, I had a renter evicted for having animals after I specifically said no pets.  The animals happened to be pit bulls and one of them threatened my son in law.  I hadn't required a deposit because I was trying to help the less fortunate but I learned my lesson.  The rent they paid didn't cover the expense of cleaning up and repair.

I think you are justified in keeping the deposit,  but it will have to be done according to what the contract said.

frawin

Angie, if renters having animals is a problem have the no animals clause reworded to say NO ANIMALS, IF RENTER VIOLATES THIS CLAUSE, THEY WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE REMOVAL WITHOUT ANY CREDIT ON RENT AND WITH NO DEPOSIT RETURNED TO THE RENTER. This might help you to avoid this problem in the future.

flo

Angie, you have a legitimate problem here and some of the answers you have gotten are good and some are questionable.  The best answer you can get is "talk to an attorney and know legally what recourse you have as well as any rights the renters' would have".  Lots of times it's not just black and white.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

sixdogsmom

This is a problem with the area that we live in. Most folks who would be good renters can buy a home, as they are already steady in a job, pay their bills etc,etc. Plus propertys here are inexpensive compared to propertys in larger towns, and home loans are not that difficult to get through the local bank.

That leaves only a few left to rent a home; those are mostly people who are not successful in their lives for one reason or another. It is imperative that a landlord have a rental agreement spelling out what is expected. In your case, I would not return the deposit, but would offer a letter of explanation (registered of course). If the former renters have a problem with that, they can sue in small claims court. In that case, you have your signed rental agreement and a copy of the registered letter sent by you. Also a cost of clenaup is necessary as well as any damages. You may want to review your agreement for future renters.  ;)
Edie

Tobina+1

Everyone has given very good advice on this subject.  I used to be a renter for many, many years and many, many different properties.  I lived in 7 different places in the 6 years I was in college.  It's not that I got evicted, but I either changed roommates or the rent got too high.  And then my 4 years in KC, I lived in 2 different apartments. 
From a renter's perspective, I would say that the contract should spell out what would constitute not getting your deposit back.  Some of my apartments had a non-refundable deposit.  Some had only a partial refundable deposit.  Some had a fully refundable deposit IF the final walk-through inspection was passed (cleaning, damage, etc).  Also, a separate pet-deposit was required in places that allowed pets (which was usually NEVER refundable).  The pet part of the contract also indicated how many and a size/weight limit.  I ALWAYS got my deposit back (that which was refundable), and I left the apts cleaner than what I found them... but I don't think my brothers ever did!  Most of the time, the amount of the deposit was a full month's rent, and it was NOT to be used for the last month, either.
In college, I mostly lived in houses.  Some of them also required us to mow the lawn (and they provided the lawn mower), and some landlords did it themselves.  One place provided the lawn mower and then discounted our rent if we kept the lawn mowed (and it specified how often, or a grass length).
The beginning and final walk-throughs are essential; for the renter and the landlord to go through the house together and determine what is already broke/stained, etc, and then was damage was caused by the renters at the end.  Also, some agreements stated that the landlord could do a walk-through at any time throughout the year, but had to give the renters 5-day notice.
I had a landlord who let me out of my agreement 6 months early because I didn't like my roommates (they were sophs and I was a 1st year grad student), and they gave me back all my part of the deposit. (The agreement was with each person separately; not under one person's name, which was unusual.)
I'll look through my old stuff; I think I may have thrown all that away already, but I might be able to find an old renter's agreement from previous apartments.  If not, I know the ranch has rental properties and uses a rental agreement, so you might be able to get a sample from them.

flo

With a homegrown contract, what's "implied" in a rental agreement is not always "legal".  The safest thing to do is have a "legal" contract drawn up by an attorney, covering all bases that protects both you and the renter and then use that contract from then on.  Do you have signatures on your contracts notarized?  Something else to think about. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

dnalexander

Since state and local laws are very different and I think everything I could say has been said by someone in the posts. I can suggest looking at Nolo Press they have great books on the subject and lots of free info on their website.

http://www.nolo.com/articleByCat.cfm/catId/5944A0DA-71B3-49EA-BF5D300558FB66A9

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk