Pecans?

Started by Tobina+1, October 13, 2008, 11:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tobina+1

Is it pecan season in SE KS yet?  Is there somewhere around the area that sells pecans?  I know a place in Chetopa that does, but I was hoping for a bit closer... Sedan?  Caney?  Fredonia?

Catwoman

Doesn't Stairs Market, over in Independence, carry them?  Or has Stairs gone out of business since I was last there?  It's been awhile since I was out that direction.

Dee Gee

Stair's closed his business last year and hasn't reopened it.
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

lola330

The school secretaries are selling pecans and other nuts.  Check w/the district office.

Catwoman

I'm so sorry to hear that Stair's closed...it was really good and reliable.

Tobina+1

My parents are here and I was hoping we could actually go somewhere that they harvested them somewhat close.  Don't just want the nuts; want the experience!

frawin

Tobina, listed below are some Pecan Growers Processors in the 2 Oklahoma Counties that Border SE Kansas.

WASHINGTON COUNTY
Caney River Pecans, Frank & Janice Cranor
400353 W. 2500 Road, Bartlesville, OK 74006
918-333-6341; email: mjanice@bartnet.nel
native pecan & improved cultivars

Watson Pecan Company, Fred Watson
1524 Whitney Lane, Bartlesville, OK 74006
918-331-8581; email: mailto:okpecan@cableone.net
native pecans, improved cultivars, & custom cracking

OSAGE COUNTY
Ben Pecan Farm, Michael S. Ben
161 N. 2nd Street, Fairfax, OK 74637
918-642-3400; fax: 918-738-4416
email: msbendent1@aol.com
native pecans, improved cultivars, retail shop, wholesale, mail order, buyer, custom cracking, custom cleaning, & custom
harvester

Pecan Quest, Wes Rice
333 Braden School Road, Ponca City, OK 74604
405-765-7049
email: wrice@poncacity.net
native pecans, improved cultivars, mail order & graftwood supplier

lola330

Oh! Sorry Tobina, I thought you just wanted some pecans.  I didn't realize you were looking for an "experience"!   :D

Thanks for that good information, frawin.  I didn't know about those places.

Tobina+1

Thanks, Frank!  And no worries, Lola; I was in a hurry that day and didn't explain myself very well.  Whenever I would go to Joplin I'd always try and stop in Chetopa and get fresh pecans for my dad, but I haven't been that direction in a while.  Also, I don't really know when they're "fresh".  Does anyone know if the harvest has started yet?

Jo McDonald

Tobina, the sellers at Chetopa will tell you if the pecans are this year's crop or last year.  Just ask them.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk