I Never In A Million Years...................................

Started by Teresa, October 10, 2008, 10:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

8 track tape
Cassette tape

While mowing the lawn--er leaves, today, I forgot that 4-track tape was also in the evolution trail.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Teresa

And what about I-phones. That section of electronics has evolved in the same way as the tapes etc..
Who would have ever believed that you could call someone in the middle of a pasture form a tiny little hand held box.. LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

Both the computer and the internet were originally developed for use by the War Department (computer) and the Department of Defense (internet).
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

This thread reminds me of a BBC series of shows narrated by James Burke. In one series called Connections he traced some of the greatest inventions of modern times back to their origins. Ancient tablets, Renaissance Astronomers, Chinese Abacus, loom, waterwheel to modern day computer.

David

dnalexander

That I would pay for TV or Radio. I am still holding out,  but by Feb. 2009 I think due to the terrain I will have to switch if I want to get my local area channels that I get now over my antenna. That would leave me with just radio for free.

David

W. Gray

James Burke, Connections

Tan leisure suit with an Ike jacket,
Balding,
Long hair,
Horned rim glasses,
Distinctive voice but not great,
One of the best hosts and shows on television.

Tobina+1

David; I think all you need is a converter box to continue to get free TV.  Gov't is even giving coupons for them.

dnalexander

Tobina due to the hilly terrain and the fact that the Analog signal will move from the top of the transmission towers to the bottom that will not work. I appreciate your comment though. Thanks. When I lived in Alaska we had no tv due to living 14 miles outside of Valdez, I will survive. Probably bite the bullet and get satellite and join the new millennium of tv. I hear they are in color now.

David

W. Gray

Another revolutionary change was when folks started having their paychecks sent by direct deposit to a bank rather than getting a check at work or in the mail.

I started in 1967 and not long after that, both the Army and Air Force started a campaign to have one-hundred percent participation.

Howls went up--mainly from civilians--that it would mess their pay up, was unconstitutional, unAmerican, etc.

Later, Social Security got on board.

Best thing that ever happened to a paycheck.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk