Storing Canna Bulbs

Started by frawin, October 09, 2008, 11:06:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

For the past 27 years we lived in West Texas and Canna Bulbs did not freeze out there, I had to find some information on how to store them for the colder winters here. Though this migh be of interest to some of you.

How to Store Canna Bulbs

Wondering how to store canna bulbs? In this article I explain how to store canna bulbs, which can serve as an example for storing tropical or sub-tropical plants that return annually via bulbs or rhizomes.

Answer:

Canna bulbs (technically, rhizomes, but known to the general public as canna "bulbs") can be left in the ground to overwinter in planting zones 8-11. In zones colder than that, to be safe, it's best to dig and store canna bulbs at the end of fall. When winter is over, the ground has thawed and all danger of frost has passed, you'll be able to plant your canna bulbs again outside.

How to Store Canna Bulbs

When: Although you could dig up the canna bulbs earlier, most growers wait until the cannas' foliage has been killed by frost.
Remove any foliage -- dead or alive -- from the canna bulbs.
Note: In storing canna bulbs, there is some disagreement among the experts as to whether you should remove the dirt from the canna bulbs, or let it stay on.
Allow the canna bulbs to dry for a few days inside before storing, where they won't freeze.
You'll be storing the canna bulbs in a plastic bag, in which you can punch some small holes, for aeration.
Put peat moss in the bag to retain some moisture.
Now pack the canna bulbs in the peat moss, in such a way that no two of them touch.
Store the canna bulbs in a dry, dark cool place (around 50 degrees, give or take a few degrees).
Periodically check during the winter to make sure the peat moss around the canna bulbs is still slightly damp (if you find it dry, use a mister to dampen it).

You might wonder why, in the above steps for storing canna bulbs, I mentioned the need both for moisture and dryness. Isn't that a contradiction? Well, the point is to strive for a balance. Too much moisture will rot the canna bulbs; while not enough moisture will cause dessication. Avoid either extreme.

littlelamb

when do you plant tulip bulbs ive got mine know where i want them but not sure when to plant them

Judy Harder

Mary,

You can start planting the bulbs now..Fall is the perfect time...........before the ground freezes and before it 
rains again.

Happy Planting.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

littlelamb

Thank you judy i was hoping i hadnt missed it this year will they come up in the spring

Judy Harder

Yes, they will...........just be sure you plant them the right height.

If too shallow they will freeze, if too deep they may not bloom.

Read the info on package........did it come in a package....or did you just get the bulbs?

Good luck.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Catwoman

I need to get some planted, too...it's time to make things pretty (futuristically speaking).

Judy Harder

Oh, Just a bit more.

They may not flower the first year if, they don't freeze, if they are smaller bulbs......they may just produce greenery, but are still juvenile.

It also depends on the maturity of the bulbs you plant, too. Too young and they are still producing the stuff it must have to flower.
But, the wait is worth it. What kind of tulips did you buy?

I use to have a bed of tulips with different types and I can't tell you my favorite, except that I lean to which ever was in bloom and I really liked the parrot type of tulips..........makes me want to plant some here, but not this year.

I am afraid that my patch of earth just doesn't have enough sunlight for them. I have a north facing with lots of shade in summer.
Not knocking it, just know what will grow and what doesn't.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Clubine Ranch

I planted my first Canna bulbs a few years ago, faithfully dug them up, stored them in our garage to have them start growing in the the plastic  bags I had stored them in! So...........next Spring planted them half grown and they did beautifully. That Fall I had the most bulbs I had ever seen. My friend said I was nuts to dig them up as they were protected by our stone wall around the porch. I left them and they come back every year very pretty and no work just clean out the weeds from underneath a few times. I do cut them back. Have noticed several people leave theirs in the the ground if they are protected somewhat. The little humming birds sure do like them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk