The Best Cup of Coffee

Started by Wilma, October 07, 2008, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdogsmom

Flo, I know what you mean about feeling like a hick from hicksville. However if you will listen to people when they come up to the bar at Starbucks, the majority order just plain coffee; the fancy stuff seems to be a little passe. That may be the reason for the closing of so many Starbucks across the nation. They do tend to take themselves alittle more seriously than they are worth. Now you have to go to Quick Trip to get all the flavors to put into your coffee. They now have more ways to ruin a good cup of coffee than I would ever want to try. I like a good strong cup of black coffee, but once in awhile, I do like to float a huge dollop of whipped cream on top. Yum!  ;) ;)
Edie

Dale Smith

Quote from: Tobina on October 09, 2008, 03:30:36 PM
Oh, I remember another great cup(s) of coffee I had once when I was in the Turner Enterprises offices in Atlanta, GA.  It was made by one of those "pod" machines.  Where you choose a flavor/type of coffee you want and put the "pod" in the machine, and then it pressed (?) the coffee out and fit perfectly into a cup.  I drank a LOT of coffee that day! 

Hmmmm... maybe this is an Atlanta thing?  This is the same type of machine(s) that we have in our school, here in Atlanta.  It's an awesome machine, with an awesome cup of coffee.  We have 15 flavors to pick from.  The machine is by flavia, and makes the PERFECT cup of coffee, everytime. 

I like it so much that I bought a Flavia machine for home, as well.  If you are really interested, you can go to http://www.myflavia.com

Teresa

I have one. Just sold it at my garage sale as Kjell likes to use a Bunn ( its fast) and he preferred fresh ground beans. so I had no more need for it. I also have one for Tea.. of which I use. The are really nice..especially in the winter when I drink a lot of hot tea.

When Kjell needs "comfort coffee" he ask me to make it. I make the coffee.. add to his bigger than normal cup 2 huge scoops of the hazelnut cappuccino mix along with about a jigger shot of heavy whipping cream. I mix,  and using a whip, beat this until kinda frothy. Then I slowly add the coffee stirring all the while. Then I take the cans of whipped cream in a can and spray a big dollop on the top. ( sometimes ..if he is being a good boy........ ;)  I add one chocolate chip to the top of that. )
Can't get any better "comfort coffee" than that. :)

I make it like that when we all play Pinochle. Becky Oakleaf says it is the best in the world and is like having dessert. LOL
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

W. Gray

James Athearn Folger traveled from Massachusetts to California via the Isthmus of Panama when he was fourteen. He found an isolated pocket of gold, which helped him to get started with the Folger's Coffee Company in San Francisco.

I have never drunk a cup of coffee in my life. I sipped a little when I was younger but hated the taste.

I occasionally drink tea if the wife makes sun tea.

However, the Coca Cola company does know my name. I open the computer up each morning with a diet coke nearby.

I can recall in the late fifties when the soda companies began pitching their product as a twenty-four hour drink. I got started about that time.

Dr. Pepper had an advertising campaign at that time, which promoted drinking hot Dr. Pepper in a coffee cup in the morning. Never tried it but remember a representative coming to the store and providing free samples to customers. They also had a slogan on their bottle that said 10, 2, and 3, as a suggested time to have a Dr. Pepper.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sixdogsmom

Dr. Pepper used to have a clock on their label with just the numbers 10,2 &4 on it. The little Dr. Pepper sodas they had when I was a kid were just soooo good! Them and the little Grapettes!
Edie

Jo McDonald

Grapettes were our favorite!!!
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

littlelamb

now singing in my bestest voice "Dr pepper is the friendly peper upper" small tap dance and thank you bow

sixdogsmom

And chocolate soldiers! Yum!  ;D
Edie

W. Gray

There was also Orangette.

Grapette and Orangette were the only two "ettes" I was aware of but we had a local carbonated bottler in Independence, Mo, whose product was Polly's Pop. All different flavors--and it was the real flavoring from the fruit, not like the artificial flavoring of today.

You can still buy soda pop in gourmet stores with the real fruit stuff, but it costs an arm and a leg.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Tobina+1

Since we've turned the coffee thread into a soda thread... I remember that my grandma used to have a soda machine where you would add your own flavors to the bottle and then the machine would make it carbonated and cap it off.  I think you had to wait a day for the flavor to really come out before you could drink it, though.  It seemed longer when you're a kid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk