Obama explains why he does not salute the US Flag

Started by Jo McDonald, October 05, 2008, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on October 06, 2008, 06:11:18 PM
And, isn't there a rule about when the American flag is flown with another nation's flag here on our soil?  Doesn't the American flag fly in the top or first spot?
Absolutely. It holds the highest point in the array of flags.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

dnalexander

7g. reads, "When flags of two or more nations are displayed, they are to be flown from separate staffs of the same height. The flags should be of approximately equal size. International usage forbids the display of the flag of one nation above that of another nation in time of peace."

Here are all the real flag rules of etiquette for those interested I posted the back around July 4.
http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/misc/ourflag/flaglaws1.htm.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/misc/ourflag/titlepage.htm

frawin

Texas is the only state in the United States that can fly their flag at the same level as the American flag.  All other states must fly their flag lower than the American flag.  Texas was once a Sovereign Nation.  I didn't know that until we lived in Texas.
Myrna

Catwoman

Well, that explains why it always feels like I've entered a foreign country when I cross the OK/TX border! lol

dnalexander

Is Texas's the only state flag allowed to fly at the same height as the US flag?

No, this is an urban legend. All state flags may fly at the same height as the U.S. flag. The U.S. flag must be on its right (the viewer's left), however. Texas's laws are consistent with those of the other states.

See Texas flag code.

Texas Flag Code
§ 3100.055. Display on Flagpole or Flagstaff With Flag of United States

1. If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
   2. If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
         1. the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
         2. the flags should be of approximately equal size;
         3. the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
         4. the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
         5. the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.

Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, § 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagetiq.html

frawin

I stand corrected.  I didn't live in Texas and study Texas history, but I remember the kids coming home and saying what I just posted.  Sorry for the misinformation.
Myrna

W. Gray

In addition to Texas once being a soverign nation so were California, Vermont, and perhaps Hawaii.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

dnalexander

Aunt Myrna I posted links to the official flag code because it is an important symbol to our country. I thought I was well versed in it until a post on the forum got me to look up the flag code. After reading it again after so many years I learned that many people that are very patriotic don't follow proper flag etiquette. My violation was having flag napkins at a Fourth of July party among others. For those interested the links I posted on flag etiquette are very interesting and give a good insight into an important symbol of our freedom.

David

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk