What Ails You Howard Residents??????

Started by genealogynut, August 10, 2006, 08:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Derek is on the City and Rural Volunteer Fire Dept and 2 days ago, they got called out to a fire that was started by Daryl Miller as he was cutting hay. This is the 3rd one that he has started and they have all been from the swather hitting a rock and it was so dry that it caught the field on fire.
Derek and Danny Signer said it was the hottest fire that they had ever had to fight.
That even the dirt would start to burn because it was so dry.

Maybe now since it rained , the fires will not start so easy.

But I bet in a week or so , we will be back to hot and crispy dry again.  :'(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

deerhunter25

is that toos place still there i still remember that burger i ate there in 1999 it was great, and do yall still have the big ole deer up there?

Mom70x7

I also have more questions than answers. And I'm not sure sometimes this is the appropriate place.

You know, where you ask . . . ."What happened to ???" and the answer is something that should NOT be broadcast.

In other words - what are we to do about rumors?  ;)

Teresa

Quote from: Mom70x7 on September 28, 2006, 05:54:36 PM
I also have more questions than answers. And I'm not sure sometimes this is the appropriate place.

You know, where you ask . . . ."What happened to ???" and the answer is something that should NOT be broadcast.

In other words - what are we to do about rumors?  ;)

If they are about Janet.... tell them.  HA HA HA ;D

Jane

With us living out of town, sometimes the paper keeps us informed about Howard activitives.
Like this  past week end with the festival. Is someone going to put who the winners  in the parade were and if people had friends or family in for it? I thought there were several people in town that said they would write?
Also, why is there nothing in the paper about West Elk sports? The
Independence paper puts the game in.
Army Mom

Wilma

You have just hit on one of my pet peeves.  The only local news is whatever is sent in by good citizens sporadically.  There might be a report of the results of the weekend  I can't remember if there was last year or not.  The sports is only what the coach submits and hasn't been the usual amount yet.  I still have hopes.  Since last week was homecoming, there will surely be a better account.  There used to be a regular report of what the grades were doing, too.  I am getting more local news from the Howard Forum than I do from the paper. 

It is a big job to gather the news and report it.  Rose Leo used to go around and gather the downtown news.  Janet used to report any sheriff's happenings that could be made public, including fires and such.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

genealogynut

I feel compelled to add my two cents worth.  In a recent conversation with Marjean Jacobs, she told me that she has submitted a number of news items to the newspaper, only to have them shoved back a week or two, because there was not enough space to print them for the current week.

I noticed this last paper was awful thin, with a notice saying they didn't have enough room to print all the articles that were submitted. ??? ???  We wondered just "what is going on here?"  :-\ :-\They have also taken out the church directory, but yet they had a HUGE ad saying the newspaper was going online in late autumn.  Comments, anyone?

Teresa

:-X I can't say anything.
I promised to be nice...

Soooooo... on this topic, I best be quiet.
But .........................................

What is wrong with adding another piece of paper??!!
Maybe having a little bigger newspaper??
Guess THAT is not an option.

Ok...
NOW.. I will be quiet. :-[

Mom70x7

QuoteLike this  past week end with the festival. Is someone going to put who the winners  in the parade were and if people had friends or family in for it? I thought there were several people in town that said they would write?

I'm doing what I can  :) I sent in the picture of the house that burned, along with a picture of the area Lions club cleaning up some of the vandalism.

I didn't go to the parade, so I don't know who the winners are.

I'd send in more stuff, but the paper has this silly rule about putting in the names of the writer and/or the photographer.  ;)    I don't, don't, don't don't want or need my name in the paper, so I don't send in as much as I could.

And . . .
QuoteAlso, why is there nothing in the paper about West Elk sports?
I've been told only the school officials and/or the coaches are to put the sports in the paper.

FYI - the Patriots won big time Friday night. I didn't go to the game, but they trounced Lyndon. Nice win.
They have also taken out the church directory
This was taken out by request, from what I've heard from some of the ministers because of the inaccuracies. I'm working on getting an updated list of ministers and churches and times and submitting it. That won't make it for this week's paper, but if I get it typed up this week, it might be in next week's paper.

genealogynut

I really don't know, but the possiblity could be due to the rising costs of paper and printing expenses.  I know that is the reason Good News gave us (we used to be the truckers for them) for cutting back our route about two years ago, along with the excessive gas prices.  But again, I would like to stress, that could only be the possibility of why the paper is so thin.

But what I do not understand is why such a big ad about going online, when he had news items that could have been printed, why two or three write ups from Longton, and why not publish the museum notes from Grenola just once a month?  Guess me jus' too dumb.......me no savvy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk