Quick Peach Cobbler

Started by Clubine Ranch, October 03, 2008, 03:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clubine Ranch

Tobina asked in "Old Time Skills" that I share this recipe. I will give the original than tell how I had to modify it for my needs.

1 cup butter
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2teaspoons Baking Powder
5 cups peaches
1.5 cups milk
1 cup brown sugar

Melt butter in 12'' dutch oven. Pre-heat lid while letting butter cool. Mix flour, sugar and baking powder. Add milk and mix. Pour in Dutch Oven over the butter. Do not stir. Add peaches (drained) on batter. Do not stir. Place oven on coals (375 degrees) and place coals on lid. Cook 10-15 minutes Then sprinkle brown sugar on top of cobbler, and cook until done throu out (10 mins. approx.)

This is the recipes the cowboys use on the open range. They are outstanding cooks so I am sure they vary this a tad! I did not want to cook over coals but to use the electric range and just have the dutch oven for flavor and looks. They said this was an extremely sweet treat. They were right....of course they work hard enough to burn it off. After several attemps I finally got the cooking time right (more like 40 plus minutes). I cut the 2 cups sugar down to 1.5 cups. I also cut the brown sugar down to 1/2 cup instead of 1 cup and added 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon. Also found out using the lid on the dutch oven created way to much moisture making the cobbler soggy. Sooooooooooo left lid off until the cobbler lost its steam then place it on and took it to whatever function and it stayed warm nicely without being soggy. I have taken this to serveral food involved happenings and it is well received...not that much work and kind of neat to look at pretty Dutch Oven, of course if you know me western and county is what I like.

pam

Sounds like my granmas peach cobbler but I never had a recipe for it.. Thanks!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

Thanks, Barb!  This is always a special-looking treat.  For those of you who remember the table decorating contest picts, I think I posted a pict of Barb's Dutch oven hanging next to her table.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk