Old time skills....

Started by pam, October 02, 2008, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

Quote from: flo on October 02, 2008, 03:56:38 PM
a "gizzard basket" has a reed around the middle from side to side that kinda pulls the middle up.  Each side looks like the two sides of a gizzard or perhaps (whispering very quietly  ;) two large buttocks)

Oh, Ok I've seen those before. I'd like to know how to make em.

Greatguns, My favorite thing about Silver Dollar City was watchin the blacksmith...I learned how to weld in jucco and really enjoy makin stuff , would really like to have the knowledge to do it on the forge. Would come in pretty handy too, not to mention I could make all that stuff I can't afford lol
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

gmaof3

I remember bein at g'ma and g'pa smith's and butcherin chickens.  The whole family would come and it was an all day affair.  I don't know how many they butchered in a day but to me it seemed like hundreds.  LOL  of course it was us kid's job to pluck em after they dunked em.  Remember them also butchering their meat, and the smell of the hams and bacon curing.  Much nicer smell than that of the chickens!!!!!

pam

QuoteI don't know how many they butchered in a day but to me it seemed like hundreds.

I remember one time it WAS like 150 or 200 or em wasn't it?lol Those ones with all the black pin feathers!

Yeah Grandpa could cure a mean ham and bacon!
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

DanCookson

Something I have always wanted to learn to do was tan and treat fur hides. 

I have friends that have tanned some cowhides and they are awesome.  I have another friend who had a beaver tanned and have seen and felt things like deer hides, bobcat, coyote, and raccoon hides tanned and they are awesome.

Leather working interests me as well, as I know many of the local cowboys make much of their own tack.  I think Tobina even put a picture of one of Chucks saddles on here once.

dnalexander

Quote from: DanCookson on October 03, 2008, 08:21:54 AM
Something I have always wanted to learn to do was tan and treat fur hides. 

I have friends that have tanned some cowhides and they are awesome.  I have another friend who had a beaver tanned and have seen and felt things like deer hides, bobcat, coyote, and raccoon hides tanned and they are awesome.

Leather working interests me as well, as I know many of the local cowboys make much of their own tack.  I think Tobina even put a picture of one of Chucks saddles on here once.

I would love to learn how to make cowboy boots and work leather. Seems like it might be a little expensive to start, but boy the satisfaction would be fantastic. I love seeing Chucks saddles they are definitely a work of art. Tobina any more pictures of Chuck's art?

David

David

pam

QuoteI have friends that have tanned some cowhides and they are awesome.  I have another friend who had a beaver tanned and have seen and felt things like deer hides, bobcat, coyote, and raccoon hides tanned and they are awesome.

there's a store over in Commerce where they have all kinds of cured skins, that's where I get the deerskin to make my bags. Curin em is one of those things that I know how to do it I just never have :P
William Butler Yeats

Clubine Ranch

Quote from: Tobina on October 02, 2008, 01:45:49 PM
QuoteHey!  Maybe we can get ClubineRanch to post her Dutch oven peach cobbler recipe that she served at the table decorating contest last spring!  (Post it in the recipes section, though, Barb, so we can find it easily.)

Thanks, looked it up and posted it in the recipe section.

Catwoman

Quote from: pam on October 03, 2008, 02:42:32 PM
QuoteI have friends that have tanned some cowhides and they are awesome.  I have another friend who had a beaver tanned and have seen and felt things like deer hides, bobcat, coyote, and raccoon hides tanned and they are awesome.

there's a store over in Commerce where they have all kinds of cured skins, that's where I get the deerskin to make my bags. Curin em is one of those things that I know how to do it I just never have :P
Along with leatherworking is the craft of making furniture.  I absolutely love heavy wood furniture, carved with embellishments.  I have long wanted to learn how to create furniture but have never had the time to do it...it takes too much time to chase kids!

pam

This kinda goes along with the leather and tack, I've always wanted to learn to hitch horsehair. I've tried to teach myself but needless to say I ain't come up with anything to brag about lol. Everytime I thin my one horses mane I look at the pile of hair and think if I just knew how to do that I could make some really cool stuff:P My one mare has the thickest waviest mane I've ever seen, it turns into a big bush if I don't do somthin to it.

My Dad built furniture Catwoman, for years him and ma refinished and fixed antique furniture and he would take a big pile of busted up stuff and by the time he was done you would never believe it had been in a box when he started lol. He started teachin Josh before he got sick, I have an oak cabinet they built together, means more to me than anything else I have. He also built my round oak table out of parts of parts. It's a good skill to have!
William Butler Yeats

pam

Was just readin back and there is a LOT of knowledge on this forum!

Lot of ya talkin about havin to pay extra for RFDtv, I'm lucky it's part of the line-up on our cable thru the phone company! Think if you had never seen a horse before you could train one just from watchin all the different guys on there. The campfire cookin shows are really good too, and Rural Heritage, And Texas country reporter.........lol, they are just all pretty good shows.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk