Old time skills....

Started by pam, October 02, 2008, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

littlelamb

a few weeks ago i caned peaches and apple pie filling for the first time and love every minute of it i crochet and embrodery and now making a crochet pattern that looks like a quilt when you get done. my husbands mother made a butiefull hand sown butterflly quilt and made each hand embrodried butterfly and its just amazing

pam

QuoteSome people say leather working is an old time skill.

I used to tool belts and stuff when I was in 4H, it's really enjoyable. Few years ago I was making purses and medicine bags out of deerskin, I'd like to get started on that again.

What's a gizzard basket Ma?

I've seen those pine needle baskets Jo, they are really beautiful!

Granma taught me how to make rag rugs, I made a few, I have a problem with patience tho.

Somthin I used to do that I would really love to do again is beading, I used to make chokers and stuff in highschool.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

dnalexander

This show was on TV while I was reading the forum topic about old time skills. Here is how a man in the middle of L.A. earns a living from "farming" his lot. Even us city boys need those old time skills.

David

http://www.californiaheartland.org/this_season/episode_908/path_to_freedom.htm

Jules Dervaes and his three adult children all live and work together on their family farm in Pasadena, CA (Los Angeles). They call themselves, "eco-pioneers." They say it's a homegrown revolution that's taking place, a way for them to get back to a more natural, organic and better way of life. Their mission? To change the world one urban backyard at a time.

California Heartland's Jennifer Quinonez visits the Dervaes' home where at the helm is Jules, a man whose vision wasn't so clear 23 years ago when he bought the 1917 California bungalow for his family. All he knew was that the cost of keeping of a green, but barely usable front yard, was a waste of money and resources. He began taking action and made a shift in the way he lives in an urban city. By clearing out the grass and planting an edible garden, the change began.

In 1991, Jules discovered a way to profit from his garden. Area teahouses were in need for his edible flowers, and that's when he realized he could make money out of his hobby. But biggest change in his life happened in 2001. When buying organic food became too expensive and difficult to find, and genetically altered food started hitting the market, Jules took matters into his own hands and began "Path to Freedom."

At this little urban homestead in the big city, the family produces 6,000 pounds of organic produce a year. It's amazing that their home is on a 1/5 acre and their garden is only on 1/10 acre! The front yard is 95% edible and the rest of the main planters are in the backyard. Every corner is used to grow food. Jules says he doesn't need more space; he just needs to be a smarter gardener. He looks to the Japanese and Europeans for guidance, those who for thousands of years have had to grow food in a small space. In his garden, or "micro-farm" as he prefers, you'll find more than 350 different vegetables, herbs, fruits, and berries.

In addition to planning crops, the family is truly living an eco friendly lifestyle. They are proud that their energy usage is only 6.5 kilowatt hours a day, and continues to decrease. They make their own biodiesel for their one truck and they also have an outdoor shower for summertime use.

This is now a full-time job for Jules and his three children, who sell their produce to area restaurants. They've also expanded into education outreach, started an online store to sell garden & eco-friendly materials and are making it their goal to get people to change their attitude about food. They say, "Food is power, the more we grow ourselves, the better."

Catwoman

Quote from: dnalexander on October 02, 2008, 01:16:30 PM
I love to make bread. I just started making jelly\jams. Both taste better homemade and by far better than what I can buy in the store. For those interested in breadmaking it is not as hard as you are led to believe by all the cookbooks. When I started years ago I followed everything very precisely. Now with years of experience I can tell you you can make great bread without all the work. I use SAF-Instant yeast, flour, sugar, Oil\butter, and water\milk. I mix it by hand in an old plastic coffee can for 5 minutes or less till it is smooth(no reall kneading just mixing). I then let is rise for a couple hours till it hits the top of the can. Shape it, rise for 1 hour and bake. Very easy. Sometimes after the first rise (2 hours) I will gently knead the dough and put the can in the fridge overnight for a slow rise and then shape and bake the next day for an even more flavorful bread. Also, make big batches and freeze after firs rise for later use.

David
You're a gem, David...how do you avoid the marital trap?  You appear to be the last perfect man left on earth! ;) ;) Next thing you'll tell us is that you can what you grow...Oh, be still my foolish heart! :laugh: :laugh:

greatguns

I believe the one thing that I do that is becoming a lost art is dressing a chicken.  Pam, my boss at Sigma-Tek is a blacksmith.  I 've never thought canning and making jelly was lost.  I do know the women at work make fun of me for cooking from scratch.  But o well.

dnalexander

Quote from: greatguns on October 02, 2008, 03:51:25 PM
  I do know the women at work make fun of me for cooking from scratch.  But o well.

I'm guessing that those folks at work don't eat as well as you do.

David

Catwoman, I am far from perfect. I just like to eat well. My mom had three boys and all are very good cooks.

flo

a "gizzard basket" has a reed around the middle from side to side that kinda pulls the middle up.  Each side looks like the two sides of a gizzard or perhaps (whispering very quietly  ;) two large buttocks)
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Catwoman

Well, speaking of gizzards, like was previously stated, the art of scalding/plucking chickens is a fast dying art...there are those with weak constitutions who moan and groan about the smell making them sick but I've never found it that objectionable.  A few of my friends raise chickens...I am given eggs in exchange for my being willing to help them get their culls 'processed'...and I'm given my choice of parts to take home and enjoy...there's nothing better than home-raised chicken! :laugh:

srkruzich

Quote from: dnalexander on October 02, 2008, 01:16:30 PM
I love to make bread. I just started making jelly\jams. Both taste better homemade and by far better than what I can buy in the store. For those interested in breadmaking it is not as hard as you are led to believe by all the cookbooks. When I started years ago I followed everything very precisely. Now with years of experience I can tell you you can make great bread without all the work. I use SAF-Instant yeast, flour, sugar, Oil\butter, and water\milk. I mix it by hand in an old plastic coffee can for 5 minutes or less till it is smooth(no reall kneading just mixing). I then let is rise for a couple hours till it hits the top of the can. Shape it, rise for 1 hour and bake. Very easy. Sometimes after the first rise (2 hours) I will gently knead the dough and put the can in the fridge overnight for a slow rise and then shape and bake the next day for an even more flavorful bread. Also, make big batches and freeze after firs rise for later use.

David

I just made elderberry jelly a couple weeks ago, making apple jelly, apple butter, and still have some strawberry jam and blackberry jam from last year i made :)

Got a whole pot of home made home grown chicken noodle soup in the kitchen, I made noodles from scratch too. :)

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Catwoman

I love to make homemade egg noodles, too...they taste so much better than the store variety. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk