Old time skills....

Started by pam, October 02, 2008, 12:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

I was just wondering if anybody would be interested in a thread about old time skills? It'll give me a reason to stay out of the politics room lol and I am really interested in learning them.

Shoot we may all need to know em before long!

Anyway thought it might be interestin.......tell about old time farmin skills, cooking shortcuts, making things, whatever...
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

pam

Or maybe there is one I ain't found?
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Tobina+1

Very interesting subject. 
I think canning is an old time skill.  I know some people still do it, but I think it's a lost art.  Along with jelly making.  Also, yeast breads.  It's so easy to make quick breads, so not many people take the time to do yeast breads (pound it down, let it raise, pound it down, let it raise).
Also, saw mills.  I think there is someone around Howard/ Elk County that still has a saw mill that they use.  I know Chuck's been there to help make some black walnut boards for Jim, but that'd be interesting to see.

Teresa

Very interesting. I do lots of things the old way.. it is a lost art..and one that should be ( and I do) pass it on to our youngins'..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

pam

Yeah Tobina! Mom and Granma Smith taught me about cannin and makin bread when I was growin up, now that I'm home I got time to do it again lol.

There are a lot of sawmills down here, a couple of them cut logs for cabin kits and some saw their own lumber for furniture makin.

Do you remember the Foxfire books?

there are things I learned when I was a kid that I've forgot from lack of use, I think it would be interestin to relearn em :)

Dang Teresa got me agian! I definitely gotta learn to type faster :P Yeah, I do too. But I have forgot a lot too :P
William Butler Yeats

S-S

There is a beautiful saw mill in Elk Falls. Well, it was beautiful at one time. It's overgrown and neglected now. My step-mother owned it at one time, she still might - not sure.

I think quilting may be an old skill. My grandmother taught me and I will do it til the day I die. I also consider dressmaking an old skill. Seems like people don't want to take the time to do these things anymore.

I can. I canned a ton this year. Some of my friends tease me and say..."You act like you're 50." But, it's something I like. I also make yeast bread and rolls. Doing these "old" things soothe me.  :)

Dale Smith

Oh, I love to make bread, the good old fashioned way.  It's a stress-reliever for me. 

My Mom does lots of things that I consider to be an old-time skill. She spends a lot of time, now that she's retired, on quilting.  She's also very good at alot of needlework.  One thing that she does that REALLY seems to be a lost art is Tatting.  It's amazing to watch. 

pam

QuoteI think quilting may be an old skill. My grandmother taught me and I will do it til the day I die. I also consider dressmaking an old skill. Seems like people don't want to take the time to do these things anymore.

That's another one! My granma made patchwork comforters out of our old clothes, she used to let me help her cut the pieces. Mom made most of our clothes, I used to sew but didn't for years. Finally got a new machine couple years ago tho (thanks to wallyworlds handy dandy layaway plan :P)

One I would like to learn is blacksmithin! I've got my grandads anvil and some of his tools, I watch RFDtv and learned how to make a forge out of a wheelbarrow pan the other day.

RFDtv is a pretty good place to learn from by the way.
William Butler Yeats

pam

I got to admit Dale I don't know what tatting is exactly
William Butler Yeats

Lookatmeknow!!

I love to make yeast bread.  I usually just make the regular white, and with it I make either rolls, bread or cinamon rolls.  I also like to bake pies.  I have gotten away from making my own crust, I do if I have time, but I just love making pies.  My grandmother and mom used to make lots of pies, and people tell me all the time how my pies remind them of them.  I do make the cream pies.  Sometimes I just make them and give them to Jeff's mother and grandparents.  They love them.  
I also love to sew.  I am going to make the girl's halloween costumes, and also some pj's for christmas.  I am with you Devyn, not many people like to take the time to do these things.  I do have my girls help me.  The oldest has been sewing for the past 3 years in 4-H.  The first year I helped her, and the last two years Carol Nigh has helped her.  It is a great thing to teach kids these things.  I remember many of days going to my grandmas house and watching her make bread, sew, quilt, can and all that fun stuff.  My grandmother has made and quilted alot of quilts in her time.  She made each of us 11 grandkids quilts when we graduated from High School, and we also each got a quilt top that she had made, we just had to get it quilted.  My aunt also gave me a quilt that my grandma made when Jeff and I got married.  I have a total of 3 quilts that she made.  I like to make quilts also.  Just haven't had time.

There is a saw mill out Killdeer road.  It is David Evans and his fathers.  It is right in front of Rob and Kristin Hutchinson's house.  Across from our old house.  I don't know how much sawing he has done in the past two years since we moved, but he has down alot.  
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk