Winter Coming...

Started by Ideas, September 29, 2008, 12:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pepelect

For some reason you skipped over the part about the Smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide detectors that are sold in any and especially at Cooksons.

We have a great new funeral home and what better way to Darwin out the lesser of the species?  Can't let that building sit while you kill your self driving to the Damn W store.    How much carbon credits do they buy a year so you can drive to them?

flo

I feel I need to jump in here on this one.  I purchased this home 3 years ago.  Last winter as I walked down the hall one morning I thought I smelled gas.  Really didn't pay much attention to it, but smelled it again next trip down the hall.  I went to Batson's to do some shopping later in the day and upon returning to the closed up house house I really smelled gas on entering.  I immediately called the city office to see if they had put some of that smelly stuff in the lines to ck for leaks.  Within 2 minutes time the city worker was here with his meter, found the leak in the basement, I called Marvin and he told me to go to Cookson's and what to get and by the time I got back Marvin was in here.  Meantime, of course, the gas had to be turned off at the meter.  It turned out to be a connection on a line that wasn't even being used.  Something left by the previous owners, I suppose.  I was told at that time that "natural" gas has no odor which is why I hadn't smelled it before, but they guessed that it had just started leaking and the stinky stuff warned me.  Problem taken care of and gas turned back on. "Local" help to detect the leak, and no chopped up lawn and no frozen pipes waiting for someone else from out of town.  My point is, about being asleep and not being able to smell the leaking gas.  AGAIN, NATURAL GAS HAS NO ODOR. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Sarah

Propane doesn't have a smell either, but they put something in it to make it smell.  It's very easy to find your own leak as we've had one.  Just take a bottle of very soapy water and spray all your joints.  Where the leak is will cause all kinds of bubbles.  It's not hard to fix if you know a minimum of plumbing skills.  One thing about propane is it will stay on the floor, but builds up over time if the leak is not fixed, but any woman even with a little know how, should know how to fix a propane leak.  :)

Teresa

Propane smells like a sewer leak...
Just awful smell..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

greatguns

Propane can blow the hell out of things also.  You can lose your whole town and good people.  Believe me, it isn't a pretty sight.

flo

yep, you're right, any woman should know how to fix a leak.  I've been fixing them since I was old enough to hold a pipe wrench however when you have to trace a gas leak up through and into the floor and wall, I'm not gonna mess with gas.  I'll let someone who knows more about it, thank you.  Fix a water leak or busted pipe, no problem.  Need an electrical outlet changed, no problem, gas is for the experts, especially when you live alone, and it doesn't always smell like propane does.
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Jo McDonald

Correction:  Any woman can "detect" a propane leak - or natural gas leak -  But believe me  You can't FIX them all.  Heed the warnings --- let someone with that kind of experience do that job for you. Use your soapy water, but let it stop there and call an experienced repair man.  LP and Natural gas is nothing to mess with.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Catwoman

Jo, you are so right.  Thanks for the timely observations...as it's getting to be that time of year again!  ;D

Diane Amberg

Ahem...As I clear my throat and step up on my annual soap box. Fire Prevention Week starts Sunday. This year's national theme is "Prevent  Home Fires," so your comments on gas are very timely. Mercaptan, a sulphur product, is what is added to gas so it can be smelled. Check out your smoke detectors, feed 'em fresh batteries by Nov.1, if they are needed and consider a CO detector if you don't have one. Check for frayed wires, clogged or dirty chimneys, and if you use alternative heating sources, such as wood or kerosene stoves be sure to have at least 3 ft, of space around them for safety. Has anything changed since the last heating season? New pets or new babies or new lamps or furniture? Take a good look around and check things out before cold weather. Be sure you have an exit plan and know how you would get out of where ever you are. Have a meeting place picked outside so you know everyone got out, and never go back in until the fire company tells you it is safe. 

Lookatmeknow!!

Diane, this is a silly question.  But here goes, we added a new cat to the family.  She stays in the house and is into everything.  What special things do we need to do to protect her from setting things on fire?  We heat with the new vent less propane heaters, and also with an outside wood burning stove.  You have such knowledge on these things, could you help me?
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk