Which candidate is right?

Started by Wilma, September 25, 2008, 10:18:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

If I remember correctly, the idea, or suggestion of terms limits goes all the way back to Washington and Jefferson, who were afraid a long term president would be too much like a king. Roosevelt stayed on because the war was still raging and then he died. It was then decided to make two terms official.

sixdogsmom

There is something to be said for unlimited terms though; it is quite a turmoil that the country goes through every election cycle. Washington must reinvent itself so to speak and congress has to go into a different mode from the last president. And it trickles down to the people who experience the upheaval also. However there is something to be said for throwing all the bums out after a certain time limit. It would probably be best for everybody to go at once, if it is intended that should give a clean start to government.  ;)
Edie

jerry wagner

Quote from: flo on September 28, 2008, 12:33:55 PM
Quote from: jerry wagner on September 28, 2008, 11:52:15 AM
Furthermore, I don't think the Presidency should be term-limited,

You have got to be kidding ! ! ! ! !

No I am not kidding, either we are a democracy where the people are supposed to be trusted to make the decisions or not.  I realize that a large portion of the electorate is usually insufficiently informed to make a balanced decision, however, the constitution was structured to allow the people to decide as this is a democratic republic.  So we either honor that choice, or term limit politicians and do the job of the people for them.  I am sorry, but tradition is fine and it is true that two-terms was the traditional limit however, it should be noted that we should allow the people to make that choice and trust in their decision or amend the constitution and do away with elections since we don't believe that the people can properly limit a persons term in office.  If the people want to vote for the person, why do we prevent them?  :(

Diane Amberg

You are talking about the presidency. At the state level they are different and mixed. Not all states have limits on federal House and Senate seats, and the ones that do, are different from each other.That should provide a good mix and stirs the pot quite often. 

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on September 28, 2008, 01:55:28 PM

No I am not kidding, either we are a democracy where the people are supposed to be trusted to make the decisions or not. 
Sorry but were a Republic based on the rule of law. We're not supposed to have to trust anyone in government, we have laws that restrict them.

QuoteI realize that a large portion of the electorate is usually insufficiently informed to make a balanced decision, however, the constitution was structured to allow the people to decide as this is a democratic republic. 
Ok were a democratic republic i agree with that but we are not a democracy.

Hmmmm I am not sure what else your trying to get at on that.   The constitution is structured to control government not the people. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

greatguns

Jerry,that was a point I was trying to make.  People get so radical about the presidential election and yet they seem to be perfectly content to never worry about not showing much interest in learning very much about those running for the legislator.

jerry wagner

Quote from: srkruzich on September 28, 2008, 04:36:29 PM

No I am not kidding, either we are a democracy where the people are supposed to be trusted to make the decisions or not. 
Sorry but were a Republic based on the rule of law. We're not supposed to have to trust anyone in government, we have laws that restrict them.

QuoteI realize that a large portion of the electorate is usually insufficiently informed to make a balanced decision, however, the constitution was structured to allow the people to decide as this is a democratic republic. 

Hmmmm I am not sure what else your trying to get at on that.   The constitution is structured to control government not the people. 

Let me see where I start on this...
The people I was referring to are the people... voting.  The people should make the choice to limit a term was the point of the statement.  What I was stating about the electorate was that in general they are uninformed but since are laws don't require a certain knowledge of the candidates and their positions (not that that would be feasible), you shouldn't be restricting whom they can vote for.  That is the point of the entire statement, i realize we are not a pure democracy, we are a democratic republic, which by the way means we grant more power to those that are elected than a pure democracy would.  I wonder if that makes you more or less comfortable with our government, sorry nvm.

srkruzich

Quote from: jerry wagner on September 28, 2008, 05:07:41 PM
Quote from: srkruzich on September 28, 2008, 04:36:29 PM

Hmmmm I am not sure what else your trying to get at on that.   The constitution is structured to control government not the people. 

Let me see where I start on this...
The people I was referring to are the people... voting.  The people should make the choice to limit a term was the point of the statement.  What I was stating about the electorate was that in general they are uninformed but since are laws don't require a certain knowledge of the candidates and their positions (not that that would be feasible), you shouldn't be restricting whom they can vote for.  That is the point of the entire statement, i realize we are not a pure democracy, we are a democratic republic, which by the way means we grant more power to those that are elected than a pure democracy would.  I wonder if that makes you more or less comfortable with our government, sorry nvm.
Actually i would be more comfortable if our government were returned back to the constitutional government it was setup
to be.  Todays government has exceeded its authority granted by the constitution. 
I recognize that democratic principles are involved here but those are under this Republic which is ruled by law not by mob rule.
We place a certain amount of powers in the hands of our leaders but that power should be accounted for in everything they do.
One thing that we should definately go back to is appointing our senators not electing them as well as restricting government to it's chartered duties instead of becoming nanny government it is trying to become.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Teresa

Quote from: srkruzich on September 28, 2008, 05:33:36 PM

Actually i would be more comfortable if our government were returned back to the constitutional government it was setup
to be.  Todays government has exceeded its authority granted by the constitution

I recognize that democratic principles are involved here but those are under this Republic which is ruled by law not by mob rule.
We place a certain amount of powers in the hands of our leaders but that power should be accounted for in everything they do.
One thing that we should definately go back to is appointing our senators not electing them as well as restricting government to it's chartered duties instead of becoming nanny government it is trying to become.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

Body count.
In the last six months 292 killed (murdered) in Chicago........... 221 killed in Iraq.

Senators Barack Obama & Dick Durbin,
Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr.,
Gov. Rod Blogojevich,
House leader Mike Madigan,
Atty. Gen. Lisa Madigan,
Mayor Richard Daley...
our leadership in Illinois...all Democrats.

Thank you for the combat zone in Chicago. Of course they're all blaming each other. Can't blame Republicans, there aren't any!

State pension fund $44 Billion in debt, worst in country.
Cook County (Chicago) sales tax 10.25% highest in country. (Look 'em up if you want).
Chicago school system one of the worst in country.
This is the political culture that Obama comes from in Illinois.

He's gonna 'fix' Washington politics? ::)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk