So why ain't anybody talkin about the bailout?

Started by pam, September 24, 2008, 08:02:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maude

I was setting here having a smoke, drinking my prune juice and reading a newspaper when I found out this information.
Bear Stearns, Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch aren't commercial banks. They are investment "banks"and are not insured like our local banks and credit unions are. So now the commercial banks are being ask to purchase these companys.
If this is the case why are we doing a 700 Billion buy out?
Maude

greatguns

Merrill Lynch CEO  came out smelling like a rose while Bank of America is buying them out.  Come on down friends, it isn't so bad down here on the bottom. :) :) :) :)

Catwoman

Quote from: Diane Amberg on September 24, 2008, 02:05:35 PM
Apparently McCain and Obama and crews have agreed to drop campaigning for a bit and head back to Washington. Since 3 of the 4 are senators they need to be there to vote. Poor Sarah will be left out, or maybe she'll keep campaigning on her own.
Nope...McCain has said that he's done campaigning until this mess is taken care of...Obama says no way is he backing down on having the debate...he wants to stand around and debate it and other things while all of the other congressmen (isn't that his job description, too?) are getting this thing going/finished.  It'll be interesting to see if Obama forces the issue and shows up to debate himself while McCain is busy doing the job he was elected to do in the first place.

pam

i've been watchin the whole thing. I think Mccain is grandstandin. obama is tryin to seem coolheaded and in charge. They are both tryin to get some milage out of this. They are both doin the job they were elected to do as far as I can see, they are still senators, all they are at this point is a vote one way or the other. Neither one of em can claim the limelight on this one. If they do they have delusions of granduer.
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Teresa

A friend sent this to me. It makes as much sense as the current plan, and it would be a hell of a lot more fun!

I'm against the $85,000,000,000.00 bailout of AIG.

Instead, I'm in favor of giving $85,000,000,000 to America in
a We Deserve It Dividend.

To make the math simple, let's assume there are 200,000,000
bonafide U.S. Citizens 18+.
Our population is about 301,000,000 +/- counting every man, woman
and child. So 200,000,000 might be a fair stab at adults 18 and up..

So divide 200 million adults 18+ into $85 billon that equals $425,000.00.

My plan is to give $425,000 to every person 18+ as a
We Deserve It Dividend.

Of course, it would NOT be tax free.
So let's assume a tax rate of 30%.

Every individual 18+ has to pay $127,500.00 in taxes.
That sends $25,500,000,000 right back to Uncle Sam.

But it means that every adult 18+ has $297,500.00 in their pocket.
A husband and wife has $595,000.00.

What would you do with $297,500.00 to $595,000.00 in your family?

Pay off your mortgage – housing crisis solved.

Repay college loans – what a great boost to new grads

Put away money for college – it'll be there

Save in a bank – create money to loan to entrepreneurs.

Start a new business.

Buy a new car – create jobs

Invest in the market – capital drives growth

Pay for your parent's medical insurance – health care improves

Enable Deadbeat Dads to come clean – or else

Remember this is for every adult U S Citizen 18+ including the folks
who lost their jobs at Lehman Brothers and every other company
that is cutting back. And of course, for those serving in our Armed Forces.

If we're going to re-distribute wealth let's really do it...instead of
trickling out
a puny $1000.00 ( "vote buy" ) economic incentive that is being proposed by
one of our candidates for President.

If we're going to do an $85 billion bailout, let's bail out every adult U S
Citizen 18+!

As for AIG – liquidate it.

Sell off its parts.

Let American General go back to being American General.

Sell off the real estate.

Let the private sector bargain hunters cut it up and clean it up.

Here's my rationale. We deserve it and AIG doesn't.

Sure it's a crazy idea that can "never work."

But can you imagine the Coast-To-Coast Block Party!

How do you spell Economic Boom?

I trust my fellow adult Americans to know how to use the $85 Billion

We Deserve It Dividend more than I do the geniuses at AIG or in Washington
DC.
And remember, The Birk plan only really costs $59.5 Billion because $25.5
Billion is returned instantly in taxes to Uncle Sam.

Ahhh...I feel so much better getting that off my chest.

Kindest personal regards,

Birk

T. J. Birkenmeier, A Creative Guy & Citizen of the Republic
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Teresa

Please watch and tell me who sold out.............

GEE...isn't it funny that important truths like this about the anointed one somehow never get MSM pounding like the BIG news of Palins daughter. ::)
And one more thing.........
Racism......
Isn't that what would be screamed from the courthouse steps if we had a Congressional White Caucus?  How about if we had a League of Men Voters?

Nough said ............. :(
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Maude

You can say what you want, at least McCain feels it is his job to help the American people in a time of need. The only thing Obama is doing is working for himself and to h#$$ with the American people.
Maude and Maxine

frawin

Maude and Maxine, you are pretty wise ladies, I watch for your post. You say alot with few words. Keep on keeping on.

pam

Oh hell, the spirit of helpin went south yesterday, it's all breakin down into partisan bull and McCain is just as guilty as the rest of em. The house republicans are gonna take their ball and go home and the senate and house democrats are sayin fine be that way, if it wasn't so serious it'd be funny.

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

jerry wagner

Normally I don't post in the political section since i would be bulldozed for my opinions, so I won't express an opinion, however, your math is extremely faulty.  Try removing three zeros from the end of your "dividend" to each 18+ in the country.  A billion is a thousand million, it is impossible for 85 billion to divide out to 425000 per 18+, it is $425. Also, I know it probably has been mentioned but I simply missed it, but if one cannot relieve the stress in the credit markets (not expressing an opinion on the bailout simply stating a fact) many business (not just banks) will not be able to function and will inevitably fail.  This covers the entire cross section of the economy, businesses like retailers function utilizing credit terms to purchase goods to sell to us (Wal-Mart included), that is simply how such businesses are operated, most businesses do not keep their "cash" in fully liquid situations but rather in CDs or other semi-liquid assets and cover their expenses as revenue streams enter the business.  That is, granted, a drop in bucket and can be relieved by the business using their liquid assets, but one has to understand most retailers are most profitable during the holiday season (Day after Thanksgiving shopping DATG is referred to as Black Friday for a reason) and some retailers break even throughout the year and then are only really profitable during the holiday season.  I apologize for the rant, just thought I'd throw in the other side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk