How Do You Feel About Snakes????

Started by Wilma, September 20, 2008, 10:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Janet, where exactly is that Amazon shipping building?

I seem to recall hearing a story when you were the sheriff and my dad came over to help you get a snake out of a lady living the folk's home.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

I wanna hear that story.

As for the snake that came through the knot hole.  I don't remember it, but I do remember one that found it's way as far as inside the kitchen door.  I thought it was a stick that someone had dropped there until it moved.  My husband was there at the time and he removed it.

W. Gray

That would be a good one.

What I was really trying to say was to help Janet get a snake out of a lady's home near my folk's house. I was not there but it seems to me the snake was in a cabinet and the sheriff was standing back.  :)
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Wilma

You better bet the sheriff was standing back.  But she was willing to kill a rattlesnake if Grandma hadn't beat her to it.

Sarah

I am somewhat afraid of snakes in that I don't want to touch them.  My mom was not afraid of snakes and would often pick up Garder snakes so I could pet them, so I don't know where I learned it.  I remember when we first moved out here, it wasn't till a little while after that I learned there was rattle snakes out here when I ran across one while we were building our house.  Now those I am terribly afraid of and worry for the children all the time.  We just had one in our chicken house today.  Blech!!  Any rattle snake we kill and the kids have gotten excellent at spotting them.  (they are rather colorful and stick out) and so I don't worry about them quite as much as I use to.  But if it's not a rattler or any other poisonous snake, while I don't want to touch them, I won't kill them.  My son absolutely loves snakes and is constantly catching them and bringing them in the house.  I had one loose in my house one day and my son was staying with grandma and I couldn't bring myself to touch it so I put a bowl over it so it couldn't get away and then called Steve to come get it and take it out of my house.  LOL

LShortt

Thanks to my son Charlie I (for the most part) released my fear of snakes.  Dale, Charlie had a Columbian Red-tailed Boa that reacted to him much like you have described about yours.  I swear that snake knew Charlie.  Although I still would not want to encounter snakes in the wild I did learn that generally speaking I have nothing to fear.  I don't smell like, look like, feel like their food supply.  I learned to appreciate their existence and became quite fascinated with them.  It's mesmerizing to watch one feed.  It is quite amazing to watching one go through the shedding process and renew their colors.  Snakes are not slimy.  Their bellies are quite soft. They are very graceful creatures.  Although,  I still prefer my rambuncious slobbering 100lb Lab.

Dale Smith

Quote from: sunflower on September 26, 2008, 08:41:25 PM
Thanks to my son Charlie I (for the most part) released my fear of snakes.  Dale, Charlie had a Columbian Red-tailed Boa that reacted to him much like you have described about yours.  I swear that snake knew Charlie.  Although I still would not want to encounter snakes in the wild I did learn that generally speaking I have nothing to fear.  I don't smell like, look like, feel like their food supply.  I learned to appreciate their existence and became quite fascinated with them.  It's mesmerizing to watch one feed.  It is quite amazing to watching one go through the shedding process and renew their colors.  Snakes are not slimy.  Their bellies are quite soft. They are very graceful creatures.  Although,  I still prefer my rambuncious slobbering 100lb Lab.

Very good, you learned all the things that us that enjoy our snake pets, want others to learn.  I learned to get past my fear of snakes when a friend of mine convinced me that there was no possible way the snake could hurt me.  Of course, that is why I don't want to encounter them in the wild.  Living in the deep south,the chances that I will encounter a dangerous one is better than average.   Anyways... I'm glad you learned to appreciate the red-tailed Boa.  I used to have a Columbian Red-tailed Boa as well.  I gave her to a friend of mine once she had reached a littler over 8 feet in length.  It was getting harder for me to handle her alone.  Last I heard, she was a new mother.   :)

Catwoman

OK...maybe lots of little baby constrictors running around MIGHT be pushing my comfort level.

Teresa

So what does the kitty in your picture think of "the snake".. ( maybe you could post a picture of it? ) :)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Wilma

He's supposed to be posting a picture of the snake but I haven't seen it yet.  Where is it, Dale?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk