Brighton Hall in Longton

Started by kshillbillys, September 09, 2008, 09:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshillbillys

The Longton City Council entertained some ideas on what to do with Brighton Hall tonight at the city council meeting. All 19 (!) townspeople that showed up were in favor of NOT tearing down the building but fixing it. The 4 city council members that showed up, told us that none of them were in favor of tearing it down, but one council member was against many of the ideas that were proposed to fix it.

Does this county need one more old and historic building torn down? Brighton Hall needs a new roof. The one quote they got to fix it was $27,000. Does Longton have $27,000 to go towards a new roof? NO, but that doesn't mean get rid of the building. Many good ideas were thrown out there to the council tonight. One was for townspeople to donate the supplies and labor for fixing the roof. That's a wonderful idea, BUT how is that to be done if only 19 people can show up to even discuss ways to save the building. 19 people out of 432! That's disgraceful! Do people not have any pride in our small town?????????

It doesn't make much sense just because of a roof leak to have to tear the building down! The roof hasn't been replaced for 29 years so there should have been money allocated all of those years for upkeep and replacement of the roof! The one and only local contractor who put a bid on it would only give a 5 year warranty on the roofing and materials! That's great that he's doing that but why can't he put a roof on it that will withstand 30 years of freezing, rain, hail, snow and heat?

Why do we small towns need to tear down all the rock and brick structures with a cheap looking tin building? I'm sure that will attract visitors from miles around to look at all the tin buildings in our downtowns!

Does anyone out there have any fundraising ideas or ideas in genderal to help our small town? I've been racking my brain but am just so upset and disgusted about it tonight that I'm not coming up with much. I was not born or even raised here in Elk County. My family and I moved here in 2002, but we tell everyone how much we love it here and we're not going anywhere! I refuse to see our little town die!
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

Bonnie M.

Our family is planning to help in any way we can, from a distance, since none of us live close by anymore.  But, I'm planning to be a part of whatever is done, to save/restore Brighton Hall. 
Bonnie

pepelect

Post it in the paper that you are going ahead a putting the roof on and adding it to their tax rolls.  I bet you get a full house then.

The same problem is universal.  Nobody wants to see the old buildings torn down but empty pockets don't fix much water damage.   Find a economic value for the structure and then get the community behind it.   If you need ideas just look at some of my previous posts.   I have never stayed on one track long enough to be consistant but I have  lots of ideas.  

Money and time are the two obstacles that you will face.  You have to have the money in time to stop the damage.   You have to have the time to raise the money.

Good luck.   Need help just ask.

ELK KONNECTED,,,,,,.......STAY WITH US AS WE GROW.

Judy Harder

I too, would like to see Brighton hall saved.

I do NOT have any ideas how to raise the money..............but, I do know if it is going to be, it will be.

I am one who did not show up....mainly cause I forgot about it.........I am also not a shaker or doer....mainly a
vocal supporter..

this story will be long running maybe not like the school house at Howard, but still in the hearts of many older
( this is not my home town, but feels like it) citizens.
Stayed tuned
Things are happening here and as soon as I know it you will..........maybe Bonnie can get it first as she is more in touch with the people than I am.

Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

kshillbillys

Well I have been brainstorming and coming up with a few ideas for this little town. I'm not certain about who to go to discuss these ideas, but one thing IS for sure...As soon as an election for one of the city council positions comes up, I'm entering. We need people on the council that will listen, not just nod their head and never bring it up again!

Judy Harder

kshillbillys

Speak to the mayor........Steve Fielder,  or Roger Rankin, or any of the council people.
You may want to meet people at the cafe for coffee.

Get involved with what is going on and see what happens.

All are understanding and helpful..........you just need to jump in and attend the council meetings and then speak up.............
welcome to town..........I know I am late.....but, better late than never.
Oh, attending church will be a step forward, too. Do you have kids in school.?.............
God bless
Judy
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Alisa

I don't believe any of the council members are wanting to see the Brighton Hall be torn down. 
They are wanting others to be aware of its condition and if funding is not available soon and deterioration continues, that may be the only option in the future.  Hence, the reason for the public meeting...to hear other suggestions and ideas.  The coucil is open to searching for avenues that will work best for the city budget and the longivity of the Brighton Hall.  I would love to hear the suggestions that you have!

I guess I am a bit confused in your post (kshillbillys)...you state that the council members disagree with ideas and in another post you don't agree with them nodding their head to suggestions?!? ??? 

I agree with you in the aspect that it would be nice to have more community involvement and this goes beyond the Brighton Hall.  It can be just as simple as supporting our local businesses and taking pride in our homes and property!  I'm personaly not so worried about having visitors drive down mainstreet to view a building or two and then drive back out of town.... let's make this a place that they will want to stay!  I believe that the first step to that goal would be UNITY!  Let's bring a positive and supportive attitude to the table... not knock each other down! ;D

kshillbillys

I'm not here to knock people down. I didn't say that the city council wanted to tear Brighton Hall down. I should've more simply stated that Mayor Fielder opened the public forum with the words, "I don't think any of us as a council wants to see Brighton Hall torn down and that was a rumor." I said that ONE city council member was against most of the things being said at the meeting the other night and even said "they" would vote against some of the ideas if they were brought to a vote. I have been to council meetings here and in Sedan and the comment of just nodding their heads and never bringing it up again was mainly in reference to Sedan. I was just saying I don't want that to happen here either. I guess I should've made myself a little clearer.

I haven't attended many of the meetings up here in Longton. I used to attend meetings all the time in Sedan when I lived there, either for the newspaper when I worked there or when I had a personal gripe or comment that I felt strongly enough to bring to the table.  I have always wanted to run for city council, but have always been too late in filing.

Yes, I have 3 children in school here. I've also thought about running for school board. I don't get to go to the cafe for coffee, because I am on the road going to work at 6:30 in the morning and don't have time for that.  I believe religion is personal and haven't made up my mind to go to church here. My oldest daughter has recently begun attending the Christian Church. When I do decide to go it will be there with Dave. He was one of my preachers when I grew up in Tyro and I went faithfully to the Christian Church there.

When I am done working out the particulars on some fundraising ideas I will take them to the council. I wasn't making a personal attack on anyone, never brought up any names. Am simply stating that I love this town, want to help make it better and that's why I'm going to run for city council.  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk