This is why..............

Started by pam, September 12, 2008, 12:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pam

THIS is why we can never allow fundamental Islam to get a foot hold here. These people are so friggin far back in the dark ages it makes me want to puke. They use religion as their justification, religion and "tradition". God! Stuff like this makes me so mad I could spit ten penny nails through a cement wall.......................................

Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 8:37 AM
Filed Under: Islamabad, Pakistan
By NBC News' Shahid Qazi and Carol Grisanti

BABAKOT, Pakistan – In a tangle of bushes and trees outside a remote village in southwest Pakistan, six close male relatives of three teenage girls dug a 4-foot wide by 6-foot deep ditch, on a sweltering night in mid-July, and allegedly buried the girls alive.

The girls' crime: they dared to defy the will of their fathers and the customs of their tribe and choose their own husbands. The mother of one of the girls and the aunt of another were shot and killed while begging for the girls' lives, according to local media reports.

The incident has touched off widespread condemnation from human rights groups, but also a sturdy defense from local officials. "This action was carried out according to tribal traditions," said Israrullah Zehri, a senator representing Balochistan in the upper house of Pakistan's parliament in the capital Islamabad. "These are centuries-old traditions and I will continue to defend them," he said. 

We visited the scene and interviewed locals to try and learn more about this gruesome crime.

Daring to defy tradition
Saarang Mastoi is the local journalist who broke the story. He told us that on July 14, Fatima, Fauzia and Jannat Bibi, aged 16 to 18, got into a taxi in Babakot, a small village of farmers and sheepherders in Pakistan's Balochistan province, and drove about one hour to the village of Usta Mohammed to meet their boyfriends. The girls were chatting in the back of the taxi about their plans to meet the boys at the local restaurant and then go to a civil court to marry them.

The taxi driver dropped the girls off and then drove straight back to Babakot to inform their families about the secret plans he had overheard in the back of his taxi, according to Mastoi.

The girls' decision to elope came after their male relatives and tribal elders had refused them permission to marry the boys of their choice because they were from another tribe.

The families of the girls belong to the wealthy feudal Umrani tribe in Balochistan. The uncle of one of the girls is a minister in the Balochistan provincial government and a deputy leader of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), according to an investigation into the incident by Human Rights Watch. 

Traditional justice
Almost immediately after the taxi driver's return, a posse of male relatives, including fathers, uncles and brothers, set out from Babakot for the village of Usta Mohammed to bring the girls home. The men arrived in land cruiser jeeps bearing Balochistan government license plates – one belonging to the district mayor, according to Human Rights Watch.

The girls were kicked, punched and then pushed into the vehicles at gunpoint, Mastoi, the journalist, said. Once back at home in Babakot, the girls were beaten again and interrogated by their fathers and uncles for almost one hour before their "verdict" was announced.

They would be killed – buried alive.

The girls were dragged into vehicles and taken to the end of a back road in Babakot accompanied by two female relatives, according to media reports. The men dug ditches and ordered the girls to be thrown in. When the female relatives saw the ditches, they tried to intervene and begged for the girls' lives, according to local media reports.

There was "pandemonium at the site," according to the findings of the Asian Human Rights Commission, and a tribal elder gave orders to shoot the two older women. They died immediately and were thrown into the wide ditch. The three girls, who were wounded in the gunfire but still alive, were then thrown in and covered with sand and mud.

In Pakistan's rural areas, male tribal councils decide the fate of women who bring dishonor to their family. In 2004, President Pervez Musharraf outlawed the practice, known as "honor killings" – violations of the law carry the death penalty. But the law is impossible to enforce because this centuries old custom for dealing with women is protected by powerful feudal landlords and tribal elders.

Mastoi, the local reporter, told NBC News that "powerful people" from the Umrani tribe had threatened him and warned him of consequences if he continued to report the story. He said that everyone in the village knew what happened and shortly after the murders, a couple of shepherds in the area had taken him to see the actual burial site. "Now everyone is too afraid to talk," he said.

'It's a man's world'
Only about 7,000 people live in Babakot, a run down and dusty place about 200 miles south of the provincial capital, Quetta. Donkey carts carrying women, children and poor farmers give way on the road to the shiny 4X4 Land Cruisers of the wealthy landowners and tribal chiefs.

Ali Baksh, a frail shepherd with a thin scruffy white beard, has been tending his sheep in the neighboring district of Naseerabad since he was seven years old.  When asked what he thought about the murders in Babakot, he stared blankly for a few seconds and then he said, "I am proud of our Balouch traditions and it was the right punishment for those girls who defied the will of their fathers."

Public outcry by human rights groups and lawmakers has forced the federal government in Islamabad to open an investigation into what happened in Babakot six weeks ago. 

But the Asian Human Rights Commission believes a full accounting of the events may be impossible: "The Balochistan police have removed three of the five bodies and started destroying any evidence that might prove useful to an eventual investigation."

Back in Babakot, the reaction of an elderly woman to questions about the story seemed to confirm the human rights groups' fears. When asked about the story, she refused to give her name, sighed and waved off any hope for justice in this case. "It's a man's world and these things will never stop," she said.

Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Lookatmeknow!!

You have got to be kidding me!!  This is outragous!!  Just plain, terrible!!!!  I agree with you Pam!!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Diane Amberg

The fundamentalists there can treat their women worse than animals if they choose to. It is indeed very sad.

pam

I watched a report on CNN about a month or two ago called honor killing in America. It had stories about arab/ muslim girls who had been killed by their fathers and brothers because they weren't "good" muslim women.

It's not all muslims, it's the fundamental believing ones. They are friggin nuts! The same ones that think it's a real swell deal to be a suicide bomber.

These are the kind of womens rights I care about. I don't care about some executive hollerin because she got a few bucks less than some guy for doin a job. I care about women that get beat for openin their mouths to speak! Get killed for daring to defy the authority of male family members. Get stoned for goin out in public without bein totally covered head to toe. It's major bull.

I was typin at the same time as Diane :P
Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy.
William Butler Yeats

Catwoman

Most of the world's atrocities are committed in the name of religion...and there are atrocities committed in more places than just the Arab states.  It is truly sobering to realize the human suffering that is being compounded throughout the world...slavery is alive and well, without and within the US...you just have to know where to look for it.  Women continue to bear the brunt of a good deal of the ills in the world, as do children.  Hunger is an everpresent spector looking over the shoulders of most of mankind, even here in the US.  Yes, there are programs to help out families...but, if the adults in those families don't use those advantages wisely, then the children are just as bad off as before.  Children and animals are cruelly at the wims of the adults who surround them.  We have been through two modern-day world wars...we won't even begin to go back throughout history and discuss all of the chicanery done then...and still, the world community hasn't learned from its mistakes.  Is there hope?  There are those who say that only prayer will prevail.  When I was young, I didn't believe that.  Now that I am old, I am closer to accepting that reality.

lola330

A full range of inequality for human rights for women, from disrespect to misogyny exists on some level everywhere.

It is not that far of a stretch when some smirky politician asks  Sarah Palin, how as a woman she plans on being a mother and taking care of her children and being a vice president at the same time.  No one has ever asked a man the same question.  And don't kid yourselves, a lot of people thought was a "good one" against Sarah.  Even if they didn't say it out loud themselves.

This is not about Sarah per se, it's just a recent example.  Women in the U.S. still come up against this mentality.  Thank God killing them or burying them alive is against the law here.  But it doesn't make it go away.

pam

Quote from: Catwoman on September 13, 2008, 02:35:17 PM
Most of the world's atrocities are committed in the name of religion...and there are atrocities committed in more places than just the Arab states.  It is truly sobering to realize the human suffering that is being compounded throughout the world...slavery is alive and well, without and within the US...you just have to know where to look for it.  Women continue to bear the brunt of a good deal of the ills in the world, as do children.  Hunger is an everpresent spector looking over the shoulders of most of mankind, even here in the US.  Yes, there are programs to help out families...but, if the adults in those families don't use those advantages wisely, then the children are just as bad off as before.  Children and animals are cruelly at the wims of the adults who surround them.  We have been through two modern-day world wars...we won't even begin to go back throughout history and discuss all of the chicanery done then...and still, the world community hasn't learned from its mistakes.  Is there hope?  There are those who say that only prayer will prevail.  When I was young, I didn't believe that.  Now that I am old, I am closer to accepting that reality.

The only thing that is going to change things is finding enough open-minded people to wake up, look around, and say hey this ain't workin, we did this before and it's wrong y'all. There is a better way.
William Butler Yeats

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk