What is in your Freezer and Fridge!

Started by Diane Amberg, September 07, 2008, 11:12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

Teresa, Myrna fixed Quail over the weekend. I have Quail, Dove, Pheasant and Chuckars in the Freezer from last year and it won't be long until I will be getting more. My old birddog is ready now, they are building more houses close to us and the nail guns are driving her crazy, she thinks someone is hunting and she is missing out.

I had just posted the above message in another thread and then you started this one so I moved it over.

flo

better not screw it up, Teresa, with that many animals on board.  ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Teresa

I did it.. ( with 2 try's) lol

Diane.. You do not eat the tail of a beaver.
If cooked right , the meat is very tender and a dark meat. It is not greasy nor is it wild tasting.
People who have a problem with eating "what they know is not the norm for all city people and most country people.. "....
like Beaver, coon, hedge apples etc... have difficulty convincing themselves to try it.
But if you did eat some.. and no one told you what it was.. I would bet anything I have that you would be getting seconds on your plate.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Diane Amberg

I was just having fun. I like muskrat so I'm sure beaver would be good too. I'm not sure why anyone would need to eat one, but if it's legal to hunt them, why not?

dnalexander

Let's see here what is in the fridge:

Hot Pepper freezer jelly, Strawberry jelly, multiple chicken carcasses for stock, tomato sauce, Beef "It's what's for dinner", Pesto sauce made from my Basil plants, Alaska Halibut & Salmon & Dolly Varden. Some super icy thing of something. Chocolate Mousse (from up near the antler's the best of the Mousse)

David

Joanna

All we have now is most of a beef, some deer and a bag of pheasant Chris gave me.  I need some pointers on the pheasant. Last time I tried to cook that it was so tough we couldn't get it down; but a friend had told me to bake it with mushroom soup like baked steak, so maybe that wasn't the way to go.

However, we have frozen squash, some tomatoes and spaghetti sauce (compliments of Indygal), frozen jalapenos and corn on the cob ~ all from our garden.  The bugs have killed off most of the garden, but I have several hours worth of green beans & wax beans I picked this morning to try to get worked up tonight.  We still have tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers like crazy... lots of peppers.  Anyone want some habaneros?  My son doesn't even want me to bring them in the house and I picked a half dozen this morning. They are so cute! That flourescent orange color isn't kidding though, dynamite!  :o  :P

I've never had beaver or coon or possum, but I've never had goat or lamb either.  I'd try them if I had the chance, but not going to go out of my way for one anytime soon.  And I'm not eating mountain oysters or calf fries again even though I have tasted them ~ just not something I like.

frawin

Joanna, my wife has lots of Upland Gamebird recipes, I will get her to post some Pheasant recipes that we like.

Joanna

flo

Joanna, haven't cooked pheasant for years, but when I did this is how Lewis liked it.  Brown in a skillet, just like chicken, put in a baking pan, make gravy out of the drippings, just like chicken, pour over the pheasant and bake till tender.  This was called Smothered Pheasant.  Hmmmmmmmm ::) ::) come to think of it, kinda tasted like chicken.  ;D
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Catwoman

I have always wanted to try cooking a turducken...you de-bone a turkey, a duck and a chicken and then wrap the chicken with the duck and the two of them with the turkey, spreading stuffing inbetween each of the layers.  I attended a function where this was served and was instantly captured by all of those flavors cascading over my palate. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk