Republicans Gaining Control Of Oklahoma's Fastest Growing Districts

Started by frawin, September 08, 2008, 10:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

An interesting trend, one of the main areas that Democrats have lost to Republicans is the Southeast Corner of the state, this area has long been a Democrat stonghold called Little Dixie and was the home area of Carl Albert, longtime Democratic Congressman and Speaker of the House and a strong ally of LBJ.

From the Tulsa World, September 8, 2008:

Republicans are gaining control of Oklahoma's fastest-growing districts.

Republicans control most of the state's largest and fastest-growing legislative districts, a trend that could magnify recent Democratic losses in the Oklahoma House and Senate if it continues through redistricting.

Diane Amberg

frawin

I think it is or will  make it more business friendly which will bring jobs, revene and growth.

sixdogsmom

This is why heavily republican Elk county is so overrun with good paying jobs!  ;D ;D
Edie

Marcia Moore

Frank, I just spent the last four days visiting relatives in Buffalo Valley, OK (between McAlester and Talihina), and you are right - people from that area of the state have always been big democrats.  I usually stay away from discussing politics with them, but this year I just had to ask their opinions, and they are all going to vote for McKain and Palin.  I was really surprised they were jumping ship, but their main reason for voting republican was that they did not trust Obama. 

frawin

Marcia, that is understandable, that area has always been very strong Democrat. If you get a chance go to to today's Tulsa world it is an interesting article to read. It is happening all over the state and a big reason is just what you said, they do not trust Obama.

frawin

Even the long standing Democrat areas are going Republican. And Tulsa is very heavy republican.

srkruzich

Quote from: sixdogsmom on September 08, 2008, 01:41:31 PM
This is why heavily republican Elk county is so overrun with good paying jobs!  ;D ;D

There are plenty of jobs out there SDM.  You just have to prepare for them :)  IF Elk co had something to offer
the businesses then you couldn't keep them away. :)
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk