What words Do you constantly misspell?

Started by lola330, September 04, 2008, 08:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnalexander

Quote from: Wilma on September 05, 2008, 08:11:10 AM
You're right, Angie.  I hadn't thought of it in that way, but if you can't spell it right, it you can't pronounce it right.  This is why spelling is so important and making it a habit to spell it right, makes it easier.  Of course, this is true in everything.  Make it a habit to do it right and it will be easier to do it right.

Even Wilma who is highly proficient at grammar and spelling makes mistakes. That doesn't mean that she is not right. Spelling and grammar are important. It is less of an issue in an informal setting, but you need to know how to write for a formal setting. Wilma I hope I don't offend you with this post. If I do let me have it.

You're right, Angie.  I hadn't thought of it in that way, but if you can't spell it right, it (typo) you can't pronounce it right. (English is well known for things being spelled differently than they are pronounced. That is why kids that got hooked on phonics are great readers and bad spellers) This {that} is why spelling is so important.(run on sentence). Making it a habit to spell it right, makes it easier.(too many "its" unclear sentence) Of course, this is true in (with)[/center] everything.  Make it a habit to do it right and it will be easier to do it right.(unclear too many "its"; run on sentence) (i.e. Make it a habit to spell correctly and spelling will be easier.)

Sometimes even the master writes in a casual manner. Listen to Wilma she is correct. Learn proper grammar and to spell correctly.

David

Wilma

Thank you, David, for saying that I am highly proficient in spelling and grammar.  The spelling I can accept, but I must deny the grammar.  If anything, that was my worst subject in school.  What really daunts me on this Forum is the highly educated and intelligent people that are posting on it.  Sometimes it is a little hard to tell, though.

That was just an example of what happens when one types in a hurry and doesn't proofread sufficiently.  By the way, in the third sentence above, is worst right or should it be worse?

dnalexander

What do you say, Wilma, to a duel? The Harbrace College Handbook and Strunk's The Elements of Style at 10 paces? Even they don't agree on what is proper English. I am by no means an expert. I am a child of the 60's that was "hooked on phonics" resulting in poor spelling. In High School I was in AP English. I was lucky enough to have a family friend in college that was a very respected "English" college  text book author(Florence B. Nolte). She improved my abilities immensely, but old habits die hard in an informal environment. Again kids listen to Wilma.  :)

David

I say worst is correct.

Wilma

I never learned the phonics method.  I learned by memorization.  Actually, my wonderful big sister taught me everything I needed to know before I started to school.

I know I have a bug about the importance of spelling.  If only the kids would realize it before they have a long term paper to hand in.  But, you know, with spell check, maybe it isn't so hard.

Wilma

A lot has been said about spelling lately and it got me to thinking.  There are words that I am not sure of and I look them up since we don't have spellcheck on this.  But there is one word that I always misspell.

What do I consistently misspell?  The word "misspell".  I always have to correct it and sometimes I have to look it up to be sure.  What do you consistently misspell?  There, I have spelled it right four times and wrong once.

dnalexander

With English spell check isn't enough. Spell check doesn't know the difference between there, their, they're. Still need to know how to spell. I am a good speller, but I also, know when something might be spelled incorrectly. I always have a dictionary on hand to verify any words that I am not sure of the correct spelling. I also, have  25+ year old copies of Harbrace College Handbook and The Elements of Style for those really formal papers.

David

patyrn

The word "ninety" always goofs me up.  Somehow I usually think you drop the silent e and spell it "ninty", but then when I look at it and even look it up,  it's obviously wrong.  I do a double-take everytime I write it, though......

Wilma

And how many years of college do you have? 

Kids, listen to David.  He knows first hand how important spelling correctly is and how hard it is.  Also, how to say things in the best way possible.

dnalexander

Switch your internet browser from Microsoft Internet Explorer to Mozilla Firefox and you will have spell check. Plus it has less security issues than I.E. in my opinion. Did I misspell anything?

David

Diane Amberg

Even in newspapers, magazines and big billboards I see errors.  The wrong word spelled correctly won't be picked up by spell check. In October we'll be judging fire prevention essays and I'm sure that once again, some papers with good ideas will be turned down for terrible spelling and grammar. We give a lot of leeway with commas because they can be so flexible in how they are used, but not knowing the difference between then and than, to and too, and they're, their and there does count.  Now we're starting to see text code in contest entries....ridiculous!  I tell kids if they have words they know they'll misspell, write them down correctly in a little notebook so they can check on them if they want to use them.   I know everything in life is more casual now and language is very flexible, but if everything is excused ( in school) as close enough, or  too much bother, where does it stop?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk