You're An American or You're Not!

Started by Teresa, August 09, 2006, 04:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Dean Wyant  and his wife Karen are good friends of my Mother and Dad. She had sent this to me and I thought it was thought provoking enough to post it on here.
Teresa

I believe it's time for all Americans to standup for our friends and allies in Israel.
When I hear or read about Muslim-Americans or people of the Islamic organizations speaking out against Israel and calling for the total destruction of Israel, it sickens me -- especially when those spewing this hatred live in the United States of America.
  I totally believe in free speech but not when it calls for the eradication of a nation such as Israel.
And what's this hyphenated-American crap?
My wife came to this country from Germany in 1959 and subsequently took the test (or exam, whatever you might want to call it) and became of citizen of this great country on February 28, 1961.  She learned to speak, read and write English and she didn't demand that a number-button on the telephone be assigned so she had the option of hearing a message in German. 
I actually like the idea of one option:  "If you don't understand English, call back when you've learned or hire an interpreter at your own expense."
  My wife was given a wonderful booklet titled, A Welcome to USA Citizenship, issued by the United States Department of Justice, Immigration and Naturalization  Service.  In addition to a short letter signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower, the American's Creed, written by William Tyler Page in 1917, is also included.  Please allow me to quote:

I believe in the United States of America as a Government
of the People, by the People, for the People, whose just powers
are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in
a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a
perfect union, one and inseparable, established upon those
principles of freedom, equality, justice, and humanity for which
American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore
believe it my duty to my country to love it, to support its
Constitution, to obey its laws, to respect its flag, and to defend
it against all enemies.

The booklet also explains "The Meaning of American Citizenship" as written by then Commissioner of Immigration and Naturalization, J. M. Swing.
Excerpts from the several paragraphs state, "Today you have become a citizen of the United States of America.  You are no longer an Englishman, a Frenchman, and Italian, a Pole.  Neither are you a hyphenated-American -- a Polish American, an Italian American.  You are no longer a subject of a government...You have made sacrifices to reach this desired goal...this great honor carries with it the duty to work for and make secure this longed for and eagerly sought status.  Government under our Constitution makes American citizenship the highest privilege and at the same time the greatest responsibility of any citizenship in the world...
It is hoped that they will serve as a constant reminder that only by continuing to study and learn about your new Country, its ideals, achievements, and goals, and by everlastingly working at your citizenship can you enjoy its fruits and assure their preservation for generations to follow.
  May you find in this Nation the fulfillment of your dreams of peace and security, and may American, in turn, never find you wanting in your new and proud role of Citizen of the United States."

The booklet further outlines the "Duties of a Citizen"; "Rights and Privileges of a Citizen"; "Oath of Allegiance"; and the "Five Qualities of the Good Citizen." 
Ah, the Oath of Allegiance! 
Now that will tug at your heart strings and make one set up and take notice.  "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic..." and it goes on.

I encourage each of you to go to your local library and read the entire book--in its current version, and you'll find there are few changes.

We, as good citizens should endeavor daily to be a part of the solution to help with the problems of race, religion, economics, politics, etc. 
If you're not part of the solution, then you're obviously part of the problem.
Let's work together as Americans, not hyphenated-American.  The insistence  of being an Italian-American, a Spanish-American, an African-American, a Muslim-American or any other hyphenated-American is divisive and one of the biggest problems we deal with in the country.

Wouldn't it be better if we all strived to be good, law-abiding, decent and caring Americans.  There is one thing we all share in this great country and that's freedom.  Freedom paid for by the blood of American Citizens, without regard to race, color, religion or creed.
  Feel "free" to love and serve this great United States of America or feel "free" to leave it.  I assure you, you won't be missed.

Franklin 'Dean' Wyant
CSM, US Army (Retired)

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

emptynest

AMEN, to that!  I love it----and that needs to said, heard, and supported throughout our great country over and over........THank you for saying it. GOD BLESS AMERICA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk