Prairie Star

Started by W. Gray, September 02, 2008, 08:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

Rudy -
   I am all for the change and love the name you have selected - the Prairie Star.  I am one who subscribed to both the Sedan Times-Star and the Flint Hills Express, and know there were duplications in the two.  This move will benefit me, as now I will only be paying for one newspaper instead of two and will get all the news the same as before.  And my subscription will most likely be extended, as my Sedan paper subscription renewed in February and my Flint Hills paper renewed in March, if I recall correctly, so its a win-win situation for me.
   Also, it is very much appreciated that you have taken on such an interest in the Severy area, the Elk Konnected organization, and the Elk County forum.  I am not a member of the Elk Konnected group but my husband is.  The participation from those in other towns that took their time to come and clean-up Severy for their upcoming celebration just really made the Severy citizens feel "loved" by the Elk Konnected group.  After the clean-up the town looked so nice that individual homeowners even got busy and started cleaning up their messes, mowing their yards and ditches, etc.  I was one that originally thought the "Elk Konnected" name ought to have Severy mixed in there somewhere, but after the clean-up project and the overwhelming show of support for our town, I know, without a doubt, that Severy is very much a part of the Elk Konnected organization.
   I think combining the newspaper to include both Chautauqua and Elk Counties will also play a part in bringing those two counties closer together.  I am all for the change.

Rudy Taylor

Thanks, Waldo.

You're a long-time friend of the newspaper, and we truly like your historical submissions.

When you get your Flint Hills Express, you'll see that we've gone in a complete circle. The very first newspaper to serve the area was the Howard County Ledger which was first published in 1871. Obviously, it covered news in what we now all Elk and Chautauqua counties.
It truly is "a wonderful life."

W. Gray

And, it was a Longton, Kansas, newspaper.  :)

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Flintauqua

Quote from: Tobina on September 02, 2008, 09:15:00 AM
Rudy should have considered... Flintaqua Times Star Express.  Surely that would fit across the top of the paper??   ;D

Thanks, Tobina.  Not the first time someone or something (business, organization, etc.) hasn't taken the bait. :P :-X ;)

I guess there's only supposed to be one Flintauqua!!

A great big congratulations to Rudy for this business decision.  Mergers are inevitable in rural America, but at least sometimes they make complete sense, and this is definitely one of those times.

Rudy Taylor

Thanks to all for your nice comments.

I appreciated Marcia Moore's endorsement because I remember her mother so well when she worked for Sam Shade and me in the early 1970s.  Actually, I think Marcia did some work, too, if I'm not mistaken.  She was "just" a girl then.  But of course --- she still is, right?

Teresa

I think it is great Rudy. I hope it takes off like a Prairie fire.   ;)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jprxmkt

Yes, me too. We are all very lucky to have someone that shows interest in all the communities and not just the one you are from.  I think you do a great job especially considering all the miles you cover! Well done!  ;D

pepelect

You should still have a physical presence in Howard.   I can give you the third stool from the left.  The second one is Christine's.  So you can't have that one.

Keep up the good words.......Pod casts?   Downloads to the digital phone?   Did I hear the future calling...These are all data transmission avenues.... you still have to print something worth reading.  Texting or typing it has to still have content.   Please continue being as efficient as you need to be but don't sell out to the man.  We hate men with beancounters.   Ever thought about teaming up with Mr Curtis and producing a video channel for the HOWARD COUNTY area.  We could call is PRAIRE STAR is Borne.   

Rudy Taylor

Ain't gonna sell out to no bean counter.

And, yes, I like all your ideas, PEP. (That's a scary statement in itself!)

The newspaper is mostly in the hands of our 27-year-old daughter, Jenny Diveley.  And, she's a true techno-journalist.  So hang on. Expect something different from the good ol' days. And always feel free to interact with us.  Newspaper folks need hugs, too, you know.

But also don't expect to see something straight out of the burbs.  This will still be a country weekly newspaper.

dnalexander

Rudy keep up the good job. Living in a small suburb of San Francisco I have totally lost any connection to local news in the papers. I used to be a multiple paper, Left front to end bottom right reader. All my newspapers are now basically off the AP\UPI wire and a few metro area stories. I appreciate your dedication to local news in an environment that from my local experience  is difficult and in decline. Support your local newspaper people otherwise you will end up like me and have to get it on the internet. Of course Rudy is there too, but I still miss holding my old paper, newsprint on my hands, sipping coffee in the morning days.

David

p.s. If you guys ever sell hats or t-shirst let me know I am a collector and I would love to have a Prairie Star addition to the collection.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk