Texas Teachers Can Pack Pistols.

Started by Teresa, August 18, 2008, 03:31:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Outstanding. An "educator" who "gets it"......what a concept!!!
For ensuring his Students safety,like no other Educator in the U.S., Superintendent Thweatt
should be guaranteed a job for as long as he wants. Maybe the school shooting statistics will go down.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/834022.html

QuoteWhen classes start Aug. 25 in the tiny Harrold school district, there will be one distinct difference from years prior: Some of the teachers may have guns.

To deter and protect against school shootings, trustees have altered district policy to allow employees to carry concealed weapons if they have a state permit and permission from the administration. The 110-student district lies 150 miles northwest of Fort Worth on the eastern end of Wilbarger County, near the Oklahoma border.

More than a dozen state legislatures have considered making it legal to carry guns on college campuses, but experts and officials contacted by the Star-Telegram say the move is unheard of in elementary or secondary schools.

Superintendent David Thweatt said a main concern was that the small community is a 30-minute drive from the sheriff's office, leaving students and teachers without protection.

'To be prepared'

The district's lone campus sits 500 feet from heavily trafficked U.S. 287, which could make it a target, Thweatt said.

Other security measures are in place, including one-way access to enter the school, state-of-the-art surveillance cameras and electric locks on doors. But after the Virginia Tech massacre and the Amish school shooting in Pennsylvania, Thweatt felt he had to take further action, he said.

"When the federal government started making schools gun-free zones, that's when all of these shootings started," Thweatt said. "Why would you put it out there that a group of people can't defend themselves?

That's like saying 'sic 'em' to a dog."
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

dnalexander

I am a life long gun enthusiast. NRA member since 10 years old. Father was a NRA certified instructor. First gun was a Winchester Model 70 .243 for my 11th or 12 birthday. During high school in California I worked in a gun shop sophomore\junior years. The first thought that comes to my mind:

I can't believe that it has come to this being necessary. Sometimes the good ole days really were the old good days;  not just the nostalgic memories we have as we get older. One thing the kids of today have that is harder than we had.

David

sixdogsmom

We didn't have security guards or any kind of adult at the door. We did have hall proctors, mostly to make certain that kids going through the halls really belonged there.
Edie

Teresa

yep... times have definitely changed.  :'(

Teresa

Well folks... ,just got a phone call awhile ago....
as you might have guessed, the Brady bunch have shown up on the scene. 
They got some air time on one of the local Dallas AM stations during drive time today.

Diane Amberg

I just think it's sad that the teachers feel they have to be armed. In Texas no less. I thought you felt that if everyone was armed, nobody would really need to be. Already there has been a school shooting, although not in Texas.

Catwoman

It's funny...in most states, you can't have a gun within 1000 feet of a school...and the reason that they say that they don't allow teachers to pack heat is that 'they value life too much and would hesitate before using it, creating a dangerous situation for them'...I've got news for you...if I had a gun in my possession and there was an armed assailant in my school trying to kill kids, I absolutely guarantee you that I would not hesitate in the least to shoot...and when I'm mad enough, my aim is good and straight. I'm glad to hear that TX has wised up and allowed their teachers to arm themselves.  If there had been teachers with guns at Columbine, the killers at Columbine High School would have been taken out much sooner.

Jody

why DO YOU THINK KIDS FEEL FREE TO BRING A GUN TO SCHOOL?

THEY KNOW THEY WILL BE THE ONLY  GUN IN SCHOOL.

in My 39 YEARS OF TEACHING IN WICHITA,   THERE

WERE FOUR DIFFERENT TIMES WHEN WE HAD A GUN BROUGHT

TO SCHOOL.  AND THIS WAS GRADE SCHOOL!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk